Any idea what these were? Mystery furniture bits.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanA

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

I've been having a bit of a sort out and uncovered these 'ends' from some mystery bit of furniture. I obtained them a little while ago whist helping a retired carpenter clear out his workshop. He'd kept all sorts of odds and ends - wardrobe doors, drawer fronts etc - of which I claimed a couple of bits to try and recycle the timber.

Every time I look at these I can never quite decide what the original piece of furniture would have been, so I was hoping someone here may be able to shed some light. If it sounds like a useful bit of furniture I may try to rebuild it as it had been!

I'm assuming these were the sides or ends of the piece. There were clearly two rails mortised in running between the two end pieces towards the top and some blocks attached towards the bottom - did both of these maybe support some form of shelf? Was it just a sort of shelving unit (with only two shelves spaced very far apart?) or side table? It also looks a bit 'churchy' to me - could it be some sort of church furniture?

Any insight appreciated!

Thanks,

Attachments

• DSCF3491.JPG
    DSCF3491.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCF3492.JPG
    DSCF3492.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCF3493.JPG
    DSCF3493.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 323
The shape looks a bit churchy but the wood the wood doesn't. As said, arty and crafty? Those heart or apple shapes must be hand done.

An Umbrella stand it is! I was starting to think some sort of towel rail with the separate bars, but that makes more sense.

Now to figure out if an umbrella/stick stand is something I need in my life...

Thanks for the help guys.

Billy Flitch":ftqi2zol said:
swb 58 next time your in a church have a look around, you will see oak every where.

Don't think there is much in our local one, all the 'furniture' appears to be what I call pitch pine. Will have to take a closer look.

swb58":1poqtaqx said:
Billy Flitch":1poqtaqx said:
swb 58 next time your in a church have a look around, you will see oak every where.

Don't think there is much in our local one, all the 'furniture' appears to be what I call pitch pine. Will have to take a closer look.
Ditto in Scotland. Very little oak.

dickm":2xrah2bc said:
swb58":2xrah2bc said:
Billy Flitch":2xrah2bc said:

Ditto in Scotland. Very little oak.

Norfolk churches are full of the stuff. Not so much in chapels.

This is in Cromer;

gothic.JPG

BugBear

Back