any help with gift idea appreciated

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi,

I know nothing about woodworking but my Dad is a trained carpenter/joiner. He has recently come back to the trade after 20 years away and is currently doing a lot of hanging doors, skirting boards, making built in wardrobes and cupboards in new houses - that kind of wood work.

He's not into really fine woodworking - making figurines or ornate pieces of furniture.

For Xmas I wanted to buy him a subscription to a magazine that will have articles of interest to him - tool reviews, wood reviews?, new techniques etc.

I've looked online at the various magazines available - The Woodworker, The Woodturner, Routing and Practical Woodworking, Good Woodworking, Popular Woodworking....etc!

I really can't tell which one(s) would be best pitched for someone like my Dad.

I'd really like to help him get excited about his work again so if anyone thinks they can suggest a couple of titles that might be appropriate then I'd be very grateful - and hopefully so will my Dad!

cheers

PS - really great site.

I'd recommend Good Woodworking based on your comments too.

Adam

I won't disagree that Good Woodworking is the obvious answer to the question as phrased. I would question Dad's possible preferences though and offer the notion that Popular Woodworking (from the USA) might be still relevant but a touch more exciting and also Fine Woodworking which in it's present state is possibly as close to GWW as PW

get him fine woodworking from the states its brill ,popular woodworking is ok if and when it arrives :? :? oh and did i say f/woodworking is great.

frank

who looks at the mags in smiths and very rarely buys them .

I'm a Fine Woodworking fan, too. Although it's American, its articles are suited for woodworkers of any nationality who are looking for something beyond knocking up the odd project ("So what's Gill doing reading this, then?" I hear you all ask :roll: :) ).

Gill

Gill
FWW is American. Therefore, can I respectfully suggest you avoid using phrases like "knocking up"? :shock: They speak a different language over there! :D

:oops:

Sorry I won't get to meet you on Sunday.

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back