Any experience of wood splinter gone into your finger? - How did you get it out?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper Tweezers that I bought from Lee Valley. There are other sellers. They are good for at least 95% of the time I have to get a wood or metal sliver out. Large or small. I kept one on my keychain when I worked because it was handy and better than the ones in the first aid room.

Pete

Had a fair few splinters and hawthorn needles in my time but have always used a sterile needle to remove, a fellow engineer once passed me a length of old copper pipe and the rough end cut my finger at the joint with my hand -no probs washed it and a bit of insulation tape and good to go, a week later it swelled like a sausage on steroids and the pain told me to go to a/e -the nursed cleaned it and then squeezed it and I could of cried . ah she exclaimed and produced a 3 mm sq chunk of green copper . It had caused an infection hence the sudden pain . 😢😢

Will give it a try, or my wife tells me keep wear rubber gloves for a day, and the hand will sweat making the skin soft, and then take it out with needle.
It happened a few month ago, and it was impossible to take it out at the time too. But it was splinter from hardwood, not MDF. I left it, and it has disappeared totally. Maybe it has grown out as hair :D
But this time, it is a thicker splinter and it being MDF is a bit worrying.
Never heard of MDF splinters mostly made up of dust maybe somthing stuck to MDF then went into your finger i usualy dig it out with a needle

I was joking, I don't actually wear gloves.

I should wear gloves, I know I should, and each time I get a splinter I say to myself. I really should wear gloves.
I dont, because of how I was taught that wearing gloves and machinery dont mix. Same reason i put my sleeves up above the elbows before starting any machine. I did the HSE stuff and seen in full glorious colour what happens when jumpers become combined with rotating tooling. We were taught gloves were the same business.

I suppose for handling timber, where you're trying to manhandle long boards across a surfacer or through a thicknesser its a good idea, but probably like so many here just was trained initially in the old ways.
I expect in places like Germany,its more the thing, where you see the archetypal carpenter, in full regalia, with waistcoat,braces and always in gloves its how they train. But here theres less emphasis on it.

for removing the little devils, I try to pick the area a bit more open using a needle, then using a 10x lens(which is difficult to hold and hold tweezers at the same time, try to look to catch the end to withdraw it. Victorinox tweezers are pretty god. they're small enough but the bent in ends make getting a grip of it a bit easier.

I think what should be available is an app for a phone, with magnifier at 10x plus, so you could suspend the phone above your finger/hand, look at it really closely and get to it that way. Problem always seems to be those really tiny ones you can hardly see, and appears only as a tiny black dot

Last edited:
Splinters = occupational hazard. Not to worried about these as your hands seem to be able to do a magical thing where a really deep splinter that isn’t infected just works its way to the surface over the course of several weeks until you can get at it with the stanley knife or chisel.

I get a lot of little metal splinters from screws running through my fingers as I start them off. Hurts more than wood but they’re only short so can be easily removed.

What really gets my goat is staples. I’ve got scars on both hands from staple rips. A lot of builder’s merchants - in my experience B&Q are the worst - staple shipping documentation etc. to the endgrain of a packet of timber. At some stage these document get ripped off for filing or whatever and what often seems to happen is that one end of the staple stays in the endgrain and the other end is left sticking out waiting for me.

Last edited:
I've never heard so much fuss about a splinter!!! If you want to stop any infection when the wound is open pour some TCP on it.

Sharp sowing needle sterilised in the flame of a lighter, dig in and remove splinter then douse with aftershave....my dad always used that method on us as kids as we were always getting splinters picking up old timber to make toy boats and bonfires etc...still use the same method yet....

My kit:

Jewellers LED eyepiece, eyebrow tweezers, scalpel, tacking pin, alcohol and iodine swabs. But sometimes I just use a chisel, pliers or teeth. P1070508.jpg

I must look this up again, but if I'm not mistaken, I think I've heard some bushcraft/survival folk mention to hold said tool under a flame and get red hot beforehand, and not to wipe the carbon off,
as it's now sterile.
As a child, if I got a splinter, my mother would do the same, and she said wait for it to cool and not to touch it or you would get germs on it.

Amazing what I can remember from years ago, yesterday is a different matter.

Latest posts

Back