Any experience of wood splinter gone into your finger? - How did you get it out?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dad back in the 60’s taught me how to do it if it was in a location that made it hard to get out himself. He’d pass me the tools, usually a fine needle and good tweezers, and the instruction to “get it out, do it quick and it will hurt me less”. If I was over cautious he would calmly repeat it. It would always be me he asked, never my 3 siblings and no chance that Mum would do it. For me today, my beloved wife is no use whatsoever though ver practical in every other way!

Just notes.....
my wife loves having a go at splinters...I think it's some kinda pay back....!!!!!!!!!!
as for Hypo needles.....I have a lot of blood tests, I always ask for a sharp one....suprising how many are blunt.....
as for me getting em out, found Stanley knives no real use.....I prefer the weight of a just sharpened 1inch bench chisel.....
I slice to the side of the splinter and roll it over in the skip flap.....then it's easy to remove....
then either fold the flap back if it bleeds or just cut it off.....plasters are the work of the devil....hahaha..

HAS anyone seen the "Hoof GP' now thats entertaining if u want to see splinters or nails embedded.......

I had a piece of oak in my finger for a week or so, couldn't get it out as it was deep. I used a hot saltwater bath for my hand for a few evenings and was able to squeeze it out with all the puss that had built up.

It popped right out like a cork.
Quite therapeutic I guess!

Mother used to use a sewing needle rather than a hypodermic - easier to obtain at least where we lived.

Then tweezers with a flat end - the sort used for pulling out hairs.

Then loads of Dettol and a plaster to keep it clean.

I hate needles and injections - but strangely don't mind digging out splinters - although now using gloves more and more (another topic)
A hyperdeemic nurdle is probably easier to find than a sewing needle nowadays! 😃

Apply the paste and cover with a plaster , repeat before going to bed and it should be out by the morning-if no luck then as others have posted - a/e or a walk in centre .

Yesterday I picked up some MDF woods for projects, and when loading them into the car hurriedly something stung my finger.
It was the wood splinter pierced into my middle finger. I tried squeeze out, but it went even further.
I waited until coming home, and tried to take it out, but half of it came out, half is still in the finger.
I read from internet advice wrapping with baking soda mixed with water and plaster bandage,
I did that, but in the morning the remnant of the the tiny splinter has not surfaced to the skin.
No pain on the finger, but wondering what to do next.

It happened exactly same way last time a few month ago, and I just left it and it has disappeared from the hand.
When handling woods or boards or MDFs, please wear protective gloves.
Hello,
If you served on an old warship like HMS Victoria death commonly came from oak splinters caused by canon balls splintering the wood, oak goes sceptic. I had to go to my doctor to have a splinter removed from my shin, I dropped a piece of oak and a small splinter went in and after several attempts I could not remove it. After a week it had gone sceptic and was very painful. Tip - don’t be afraid to your GP.
Regards

When picking sloes from blackthorn bushes splinters from thorns always turned septic.

Many years ago I was visiting a company that churned out hand-made plaster covings and the like.
Part of the operation - which is fascinating to watch, by the way - involves wood lats (laths?) layed along the full length of the mold.
This character wandered up to me in the workshop, his hand covered in blood - he'd got the biggest splinter I'd ever seen! Three or four inches, and tapered like a dagger. I could feel the colour draining from me, as he asked me to pull it with a pair of pliers!

Last edited:
I get a Stanley knife with a new blade, cut along and down to the splinter then take it out, after that get a bottle of Detol and pour it on.

Hello,
If you served on an old warship like HMS Victoria death commonly came from oak splinters caused by canon balls splintering the wood, oak goes sceptic. I had to go to my doctor to have a splinter removed from my shin, I dropped a piece of oak and a small splinter went in and after several attempts I could not remove it. After a week it had gone sceptic and was very painful. Tip - don’t be afraid to your GP.
Regards
Some of the oak splinters were 4' 7" long and went through your skull as a result of cannon shot mind. That's what you call a through and through experience.

I get a Stanley knife with a new blade, cut along and down to the splinter then take it out, after that get a bottle of Detol and pour it on.

Nothing to do with splinters as such, but a few weeks ago I managed to get a "paper cut" from (of all things) a Morrisons supermarket shopping bag.
Very straight, very clean...and stung like a good 'un!
As I reached for a plaster, my better half uttered "Don't bother - try this instead..."
"This" was a spray canister, containing a substance that solidifies in seconds, creating a barrier over the wound.
I held my finger out for her to demonstate her new purchase...a quick shake of the can, and a quick spray...

JeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Sting?!!!

I nearly put my head through the ceiling!

Nothing to do with splinters as such, but a few weeks ago I managed to get a "paper cut" from (of all things) a Morrisons supermarket shopping bag.
Very straight, very clean...and stung like a good 'un!
As I reached for a plaster, my better half uttered "Don't bother - try this instead..."
"This" was a spray canister, containing a substance that solidifies in seconds, creating a barrier over the wound.
I held my finger out for her to demonstate her new purchase...a quick shake of the can, and a quick spray...

JeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Sting?!!!

I nearly put my head through the ceiling!
So next time buy her the coat she wanted and hide the WD40

One thing I'd add to the cut and pull method (which is what I've used plenty times effectively) is to ensure anything you're cutting into thw skin with is sterile. I usually use a little heat on the tip of the blade to ensure it's fully/effectively sterilsed before going in!

Latest posts

Back