Any "Bikers" out there?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple pics of what my scrollsaw and I can do.
The "Harley" emblem was cut from 1/8" redoak ply. Black acid free paper behind the emblem and table cloth materail as flag backer.
The layered "Chopper" was cut from 1/4" BB....7 layers to this piece. Painted and glued together and mounted to a piece of 3/4" redoak.....The lettering was cut from 1/8" black plexi.
Lin

harleyemblemredoaklg.jpg

borntoridelg.jpg

Looks like wev'e got some competition on the finished projects front here boys. :shock:

Do the wonders of woodwork no no bounds.

Nice work Lin =D>

Woohoo! More scrolling :D!

Those are lovely, Lin. I'd never have thought of using tablecloths as backing material.

Gill

Let me see.....I've done a Harley Touring bike from mahogany with "Fat Boy" as the lettering for a customer....and I believe I did a portrait style cutting for someone of the the "Sportster"...Don't have pics of either of them....No camera at the time.
I don't know if you boys know it or not but Gill has started making patterns for the scrollsaw from pics.....If you're interested you might just get her to make you a pattern...but you'll have to cut it....then you can show off what your scrollsaw can do...

Lin

Hi Lin,

Brilliant Harley emblem! Thanks for showing your pics. on here.

:shock: See what you have started now? :lol: :lol:

Hows about a Goldwing GL1500...........? :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev, Now.....don't blame me....Gill told me to post some motorcycle stuff......she said "The boys will love it"..I take it she's right.
I have to look around in my files.....I think I did a pattern of a "Goldwing" at one time....or my nephew did. He does "Bike" patterns much better than I. I tend to drop off some necessary equipment...I'm not a rider myself.. I just cut what the customer order.
Do any of you "Boys" scroll?......or are me and Gill alone in this addictive hobby?
Lin

Hey up, Lin - wouldn't mind a pattern of a 'Wing. :wink:

I'm not a scroller, just a hobby woodturner at the moment who is about to embark on a bit of furniture making. But I'm always tempted to have a go at something new and creative, and the work produced by yourself and Gill is pretty inspiring. However, time, as always, is of the essence so perhaps I can encourage my wife, who is the artistic talent in the family, to involve herself in scrollsaw work - at least then she will buy the kit, even if her interest is only short-lived! :twisted:

Cheers,

Trev.

Norton Dominator (All Chrome and silver/grey) is as far as I got before the practicalities of a family forced conversion to 4 wheels.

Looks like we need to start a store of Bike Patterns so that these good ladies can show us how it's done.

Oh and there are the Aircraft that I've worked with and .....cars....boats ... birds... dogs... cats... horses...

Ahhh! frustration; as Trevor says, there are just not enough hours in the day, and my significant other half is fully committed on her own projects and tidying up after me.

If anyone fancies having a go at a Goldwing GL 1500, there's a pattern here. I'm not really up on motor bikes myself so if there are any glaring mistakes in the pattern, feel free to point them out. At least I haven't included a steering wheel in it (so far as I know) :) .

I should imagine that'll be a difficult picture to cut, so I'm going to try to produce a simpler version over the next few days.

Gill

Nice Work Lin =D>

I'm a bike rider and restorer. But I ride and restore old Motocross & Trials Bikes. Bultaco, Montesa mostly. got any of those. Do you ride :)

:shock: Blimey, Gill. Nice one! Have you just this minute done that?

Could you add just a few extras: rider backrest, passenger armrests, wind deflectors, top-box rack, tow-bar.................. :whistle:

I do actually have an intarsia pattern for a 'Wing. Sent for it some while ago - maybe found it in a link you provided when intarsia was mentioned??? I can't recall exactly where I got it from, but it will produce a finished piece some 2 1/2 feet long! It is extremely complex, seemingly made up of hundreds of bits. I'm sure you and Lin could cope with it, but it's way beyond me for the time being - so I'm keeping it for a rainy day!

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":12jpebjk said:
Have you just this minute done that?

Errrr... yes :oops:. In the time between you posting that you'd like a pattern and me making the reply, I came up with that one. If you want me to make a pattern with all the bells and whistles, send me a piccy and I'll try to adapt it for you.

Slim - are you interested in a dirt bike pattern? I'm sorry, I don't know what make it is.

Gill

PS Sorry for impinging on your thread, Lin. I just couldn't resist it!

Gill
Thanks for the pattern. Hi-grade, Now all I have to do is learn to scroll :lol:

CHJ
Forgot to mention I'm a Royal Enfield and Norton Commando Fan

Cheers

Don't think you were impinging, Gill - think it was me who caused it! :oops:

Your speed is astounding - I'm gobsmacked! Believe that's the expression.

Thanks also for your very kind offer. To save your time now, do you mind if we leave it for the time being, until I have the facilities (i.e. get a scroll saw) to cope with such a project. (Edit: what I'm trying to say is that I would be embarrassed if you went to all the trouble to produce a special pattern and I didn't get round to making it for a while). In the meantime your offer is filed prominently with me. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Trev.

Gill........Don't be sorry.....didn't you hear me yelling."help Gill". These boys want patterns....... :lol:
I'm gonna take a look at the dirt bike pattern....as I do need one for a friend....You are a sweetie for helping me out.
Belive it or not guys...this scrolling thing is not that hard..nor is the pattern making thing. To scroll anything.you just gotta follow the line....or at least be close to it.. Just as a addition to what can be done from a pic.....Heres' a pic of the cutting I did from the second pattern I made.....My oldest daughter....My favorite pattern...
Lin
BTW..Trev...The intarsia pattern you have could be done an easier way. If you do it segmented style rather than Intarsia...the cutting then becomes easy....it is done like a puzzle then shaped colored and put back together....I'm working on a segmented horsehead at the present....If you folks here want to see it in progress...(I have two pics during the shaping progressI can post).....just holler.

heathersportraitlg.jpg

Brilliant, Lin. Now I want to get into having a go at doing 'cuttings' of all of my family! :roll:

D'you know what? ..... you two ladies could be seriously damaging to my time management, such as it is. :twisted: If only I could get away from this 'puter.........

Thanks for the info. on the intarsia 'alternative' technique, Lin.
BTW, you must have super quality ply to start with. Do you ever run into difficulties with voids in the ply, with such intricate cutting in 1/8" material?

Aw, go on then - show us the horsehead. (Have you ever done one of Cruiser - I have one of those, dogs that is).

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev, I always stack cut the 1/8" ply at least two deep. When I did the cutting of my daughter..one was for her B-day and of course the other was for my wall. If I'm doing a custom potrait style cutting.....like with someones' name on it and won't need a second cutting....I still stack cut using what I call junk board (1/4") on the bottom. It splinters easily but I'm not going to need the cutting anyway. I use Baltic Birch and Red oak ply for most of my portrait style cuttings. I belive Gill has use other types of ply with success. Every now and then I will hit a void but it generally does not cause me issue...Good blade control takes care of going where I don't want to.
I just gotta ask...Is "Crusier" a dog? The Crusier in one of my frames is a dog.....but we are in the biker post....If a dog....what kind. Patterns of dogs are easy to come up with. I did one of my brother's Yorkie with her name on it....He was so tickled when I gave it to him.
Here's the Horsehead pics. Forst one is after the first day shaping and second pic is where I'm at right now. I may tinker with him a bit more but getting close to the point of final sanding to smooth him out then adding color.
BTW....Doing portrait of people was my main goal in learning to make patterns from pics...There is no better feeling than to be able to take a pic of a loved one and put them in wood..forever...
Lin
segmentedhorseone.jpg

segmentedhorsetwo.jpg

Back