Any advise on CNC hobby machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithflemo

Reaction score
Hi I'm a cnc newbie and .I'm looking to see if there are any other users on here doing engraving on cutting boards . Looking for some tips really.

Last edited:
Are you looking to do resin filled engraving or inlays of wood like Vcare inlay style?

I have found that many of the youtube videos for vcarve inlays use very odd numbers and can be very confusing.

From my experience and some actual testing I carve the female pocket at 5mm flat depth ( how deep the hole is ) , for the male inlay I do start depth 4mm and flat depth 1mm, works pretty much every time.
The start depth means the" bit where it is the same size as the female pocket" so that is the point at which the two parts will meet at the flat surface of the board once its sanded down, the male flat depth is the clearance above and below. This leaves a good bit of glue space.

If you want to go shallower or deeper just use the 1mm difference and it should work well so for 10mm female flat depth it would be male start depth 9mm and flat 1mm.
Do some tests on basic geometric shapes to learn the method and test the machine. Speeds and feeds are specific to your machine.

I find a 60 degee bit to work very well for most things. However sometimes on very fine things with skinny lines a 30 degree is a bit better, use whatever clearance bit is appropriate.
Note that on the very deep end grain inlays they use a long tapered bit probably at 20 or 30 degrees, principle is the same in general though.

It seems very confusing and I sometimes have to check my notes to remember but once you do a few it makes sense.

Ollie

Last edited:
I have found that many of the youtube videos for vcarve inlays use very odd numbers and can be very confusing.

From my experience and some actual testing I carve the female pocket at 5mm flat depth ( how deep the hole is ) , for the male inlay I do start depth 4mm and flat depth 1mm, works pretty much every time.
The start depth means the" bit where it is the same size as the female pocket" so that is the point at which the two parts will meet at the flat surface of the board once its sanded down, the male flat depth is the clearance above and below. This leaves a good bit of glue space.

If you want to go shallower or deeper just use the 1mm difference and it should work well so for 10mm female flat depth it would be male start depth 9mm and flat 1mm.
Do some tests on basic geometric shapes to learn the method and test the machine. Speeds and feeds are specific to your machine.

I find a 60 degee bit to work very well for most things. However sometimes on very fine things with skinny lines a 30 degree is a bit better, use whatever clearance bit is appropriate.
Note that on the very deep end grain inlays they use a long tapered bit probably at 20 or 30 degrees, principle is the same in general though.

It seems very confusing and I sometimes have to check my notes to remember but once you do a few it makes sense.

Ollie
I think a lot of those yt videos tend to be using inches, that sometimes accounts for weird numbers used.

Back