Any advice on MDF variants?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksquared

Reaction score
I have been trying to put MDF through my router table – but with poor results.

Although the same equipment (table, router and cutters) give good results and beautiful finishes with wood, the MDF has a tendency for the surface to lift, until it has the texture of blotting paper. I was trying to machine into the surface the decorative mouldings seen on numerous cupboard doors.

Sanding does not achieve any real improvement. The MDF is not veneered or surfaced with any extra finish. Am I trying the impossible – or should I be using a different grade/type of MDF? If so, which?

Ksquared

Have a look at "10 Minute Workshop" on Youtube. Made by Peter Millard of this parish. A professional maker of custom fitted wardrobes, cupboards, etc, who uses MDF all the time. Right now he has a series of 4 "Basic Cabinets" vids on Youtube sponsored by "Medite" the maker of the MDF he always uses. Although sponsored, this is a new step for Peter who is widely noted for "sensible" and unbiased reviews of all kinds of tools and materials.

HTH

If your MDF came from Wickes or B&Q bin it and get decent branded stuff. Look for medite and others also if you are wanting to put profiles etc then you really should use MRMDF as this is a totally different beast and gives a much better edge surface. There are loads of threads on here showing ways to get excellent results from MDF products include edging etc. just have a search

MRMDF is what you want.

Though I have some 3mm Medite standard MDF and that’s got a really nice edge finish despite not being the MR variety, though I wonder if that’s because it’s thin?

Aidan

Another vote for Moisture Resistant, it's all I buy. Denser, machines better, finishes better and offcuts can safely be left lying the workshop for years.

Colin

Thanks to all of the above for their advice. I am sourcing some MRMDF from MEDITE Smartply. Fingers crossed - and lots of practice on smaller pieces!

That's really helped me as I have had the same problem. I didn't mind too much but the Decorator (Wife) was/is not happy about it. I need to source some though as my normal merchant doesn't list it.
Mansfield/Nottingham area. Is it much more expensive?

Always get the moisture resistant.

In my experience the kronospan ( often found in Wickes) is the hardest. It seems to be a bit heavier and denser than the Medite, I find you can get a better edge.

Try a spiral bit or a compression bit for better edge surface from a router.

You will need to prime the edges, then sand flat, repeat 2 or 3 times then decorate as normal.

Ollie

That's really helped me as I have had the same problem. I didn't mind too much but the Decorator (Wife) was/is not happy about it. I need to source some though as my normal merchant doesn't list it.
Falcon panels are at Bulwell MDF | Falcon Panel Products
they do Finsa Hidrofugo which folks who paint MDF are raving about at the mo

alternatively high park timber are at Rainworth & stock MR MDF
https://www.rainworthfencing.co.uk/timber-merchants

I contacted MEDITE SMARTPLY in Dartford, and their Technical Sales Manager, Tim Price, directed me to a supplier only 18 minutes away from me. The MEDITE web site does have a facility for locating suppliers - it might be worth looking them up.

If it's any use, I get all my MRMDF from Vexgold at Thurmaston, LE4 8BB. It's pretty much all they sell.

They certainly have Medite, though I don't ask for it by name. Whatever the brand I've been getting, it's definitely good stuff.

I have noticed that sometimes it is all green and other times it has a green core sandwiched between brown faces. No idea why, but it doesn't seem to make any difference when I spray it.

If it's any use, I get all my MRMDF from Vexgold at Thurmaston, LE4 8BB. It's pretty much all they sell.

They certainly have Medite, though I don't ask for it by name. Whatever the brand I've been getting, it's definitely good stuff.

I have noticed that sometimes it is all green and other times it has a green core sandwiched between brown faces. No idea why, but it doesn't seem to make any difference when I spray it.
I heard that was to be easier to paint, I can’t see why brown is easier to cover than green either
Aidan

if not MRMDF, (though its my choice, esp on the cnc ) the alternative is ring up a sheet pannel supplier and ask for any "router grade" MDF. any reputable supplier will know your needs instantly, they will supply one of the denser variants of MDF.... .. if i dont need MRMDF and they are out, its what i ask lathams for and they send very heavy Kronospan, it cuts without fluffing or wooling up when painted.

Happy to report that at least my Kellaways have switched to Medite. They are a builders merchant really but are comparable with the few "real" timber places that I've found and are only 12 miles or so away so delivery is cheap.

Back