ANTIVIRUS DISABLE "NOTIFY"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
After running Spybot Search & Destroy, it found the following 2 spyware programs on my computer, which has got me worried:

Windows Security Centre. Antivirus Disable Notify

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\SECURITYCENTRE\AntivirusDisableNotify=dowod:0

Windows Security Centre. Firewall Disable Notify

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\SECURITYCENTRE\FirewalldisableNotify!=0

I am a bit of a novice, and so i have no real idea what this problem is.

Could the "Disable Notify" mean that who ever wrote the program will be notified if i turn my firewall or antivirus off? Or could this program itself turn the antivirus and firewall off without me knowing about it?.

Of course with the mention of "MICROSORT SECURITY CENTRE" it could be just a "windows update" that been automatically downloaded and Spybot has mistaken it for trouble.

Any idea's

Regards

Woody

Old, thanks for the reply. There does not appear to be any problem in the security centre, but there again as a novice am i looking in the right places.

I have the Windows Firewall turned off because i have installed Norton Systemworks Premier and Norton Internet Security, and this has never caused any problem before.

Regards

Woody

Woody,

I get the same message. It's only a warning that you have disabled the MS notification which would otherwise pop up all the time and which is redundant as you have Norton installed.

Chris, things have got a lot worse.

For some reason i could not log on to my broadband and in the help section it pointed towards my firewall (part of Norton Internet Security 2005). After trying everything it asked me to try, the only thing left was to un-install NIS.

When it was un-installed i was able to connect to the internet straight away, but when i tried to reinstall it nothing happened. Every time i load the disk the install screen will appear but when i press on install the screen just disappears but nothing else happens.

I also have Norton Systemworks Premier 2005 and i tried un-installing this and then installing NIS, but it still did not work. Yet i Norton Systemworks re-installed first time.

The strange thing is if i go to Add or Remove in the control panel NIS 2005 is present, but this is the only place that it is mentioned. In other words the program is not really installed and add or remove will not allow me to un-install it.

I do not know if this makes any difference but this laptop came with NIS 2003 already installed, but when i first installed NIS this was automatically un-installed, but for some reason not removed from the computer. This is still un-installed or at least according to "Smart Restore" it is, and there is no mention of it in add or remove.

This Norton stuff drives me mad.

Regards

Woody

I would suggest that you check out Symantec's website. I have used the Norton products for a few years, and have had 3 or 4 problems with incompatibility with MS, especially after Service Pack 2 was brought in. Symantec should have a fix there if it is a known issue!

Or maybe try a System Restore. As other posts have mentioned, de-installing Norton is a right pain...and so it follows that re-installing after a de-install might give you the sorts of problems you are getting since a re-install will look for the presence or not of some files...and re-install as appropriate. But if those files are only partially present (because the de-install didn't work properly) then the re-install won't work properly.

As others have said try the Symantec website. Failing that, get rid of Norton :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Woody,

I feel for you! My Norton 2005 expired a week or so ago and I upgraded to Norton 2006. I then started having endless problems. In the end I uninstalled it and switched to Zone Alarm which has been well reviewed (they now do a suite version including firewall, anti-virus etc - it used to be just a firewall).

Since then I have had no problems although the initial learning by ZA of which programs I wished to access the web was a bit cumbersome.

I think Norton has become too bloated and invasive basically.

waterhead37":1rtkmn7s said:
Woody,

I feel for you! My Norton 2005 expired a week or so ago and I upgraded to Norton 2006. I then started having endless problems. In the end I uninstalled it and switched to Zone Alarm which has been well reviewed (they now do a suite version including firewall, anti-virus etc - it used to be just a firewall).

Since then I have had no problems although the initial learning by ZA of which programs I wished to access the web was a bit cumbersome.

I think Norton has become too bloated and invasive basically.
:eek:ccasion5:

Couldn't have put it better myself, Chris....and yet some folks still go out and buy Norton....SIGH................

On a slightly off-topic note I was feeling a bit paranoid recently and wondering whether I should stick some anti-virus or anti-spyware on the Mac. So I did a bit of due diligence research on the web and the Mac OS is still bulletproof...so no need for AV or AS ... :D

Thanks FC, Roger, Chris, but i have already tried the Symantec website, which IMHO is complete rubbish. No matter what information i enter into their so called "Knowledge Base" or "Automated Support Assistant" it always comes up with with answers that have nothing to do with my problem.

I could of course use their wonder treatment and speak to flesh and blood but they want £18 a time, yet i have only had the disks since March.

Is there anything else i can try or should i put the laptop back to factory spec and start all over again?

Regards

Woody

Woody

The only thing else you might try is to join up to www.experts-exchange.com. I use them (the sub is only about a fiver a month). They are packed with real experts...across a wide spectrum of IT related subjects. For your subscription you can ask questions..they then answer them and get kudos/money? if their answer fixes your problem/is accepted by you.

Before you try subscribing I suggest you search their knowledge base.

The other source par excellence of PC help lies in the magazine PC Answers (who periodically publish a CD with literally hundreds of niggly PC problems and their solutions). It stands head and shoukders over the rest of the PC magazine dross out their IMHO. I think the latest issue may have such a CD.

Back