Antiques Road Trip - Moulding planes...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Just watching this on BBC 2 atm as they mentioned going to Wilmslow which is near where we live and one of the antiques 'experts' has just bought about 25 wooden moulding planes that were sitting dusty in a basement for years for £25!

I'm sure he just got bargain of the month... these things must be old and surely valuable? Would love to know what they're really worth for those who know...

Probably about 10-14 mins into the programme if anyone looks on iplayer.

EDIT: They sold at auction for £70.

Thanks for the tip - I am just catching up on iPlayer - and was going to predict a modest sort of return. Things to bear in mind:

The condition was distinctly 'mixed' - I could see some were missing wedges for instance.
The handled screw-stem plough he picked up was worth more than the rest of the lot, unless there was something 18th century mixed in - which was unlikely.

BUT - if they are selling at a general auction there won't be anyone wanting to pay dealer or even eBay prices, so they won't make a killing.

The one area where prices are shooting up fast is for good quality pairs of snipe's bill, side snipes and side rounds - not common in the first place, and now being snapped up by born-again hand tool enthusiasts in the US. (Have a look at eBay - the high prices are all at sellers who ship world-wide.)

Thanks Andy. I knew you would know more about them. I kind of thought they would have done better sold separately though that's not the point of the programme I guess!

Latest posts

Back