Antique tool box - valuation of tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studini

Reaction score
Hi there,

Wonder if anyone can help.

I inherited an antique toolbox from my great uncle many years back. It was used by an old naval carpenter and much of the toolbox have his own stamp (which is also still in the box). There aren't any documents inside to clarify which ship he served on etc but a couple of the tools are engraved 1945 so i'd assume it was around then.

I'd post some pics but I don't think i can as a new member.

Anyway the contents include the following:

HAMMERS:
1 x (?)... makers: "STANLEY"
1 x Ball & Hammer..makers: "UNKNOWN".....( 2 IN TOTAL).

CHISELS:
15 x ..( various types), and "VARIOUS MAKERS" (Makers: A. Hildick . J B Addis & Sons. Rob Sorby. Stanley. etc)....(15 IN TOTAL).

WOODEN MALLETS:
1 x "HB WM 1945"?
1 x makers : "UKNOWN"......(2 IN TOTAL).

SAWS:
5 x (various types) ...."3 X BRASS HANDLES" and "VARIOUS MAKERS" (J G Graves. Josh Haywood & Co. John Cockerill.)....(5 IN TOTAL).

SET SQUARES:
4 x (various types)...."3 X BRASS HANDLES" and 1 X WOODEN... and 1 x maker: "WILLIAM MARPLES"..... ( 4 IN TOTAL).

G CLAMPS:
2 x (various types)...makers: RECORD. PARAMO..... (2 IN TOTAL).

PLANES:
1 x (small)....makers: "STANLEY"
1 x (med)...makers: "STANLEY" ?......(2 IN TOTAL).

UNUSUAL/UNKNOWN TOOLS:
Possible x set of 10 , and "VARIOUS MAKERS" (Makers: HY Wilson. Wales & Sons. Groves & Sons. Governor. D Watts.)

Carpentry isn't my field so some of these descriptions are particularly vague e.g many of the tools inside didn't appear typical chisels and i'm sure they have an independent name.

Could anyone give me a vague valuation for this box and it's contents? Would I be better off selling it altogether or every tool seperately?

And where would be the best place to sell? Any other forums recommended? I think the time has come for someone else to look after the tools a little bit better than myself!

Cheers

hi and welcome

sounds interesting just the stuff we like. But...... we need pictures!!!!

for instance a 'STANLEY' plane could be worth a fiver or £500 depending on age and type and condition. the chisels sound interesting.

just do two more post with one word in. and you should be able to post the pics.

adidat

Whatever you do don't attempt to clean, fettle, sharpen, polish etc other than tidying up and wiping with oily rag. You could drastically reduce their interest and value.

I'm afraid you can not post URL links to off site hosted images until you have made at least 3 posts (spam trap)
If and when you do they will require the full url to the server location where they are held.
However as long as the image file size is 256kb or less you can upload direct to the UKW server from your computer.
Use the Upload attachment dialogue below the New post dialogue box.
'Browse' (to locate the file on your computer) and 'Add File'
postingimages.jpg

Attachments

• postingimages.jpg
    postingimages.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 251
Jacob":j7jm8ny7 said:
Whatever you do don't attempt to clean, fettle, sharpen, polish etc other than tidying up and wiping with oily rag. You could drastically reduce their interest and value.
Yea definitely not going to attempt that for just those reasons.

One thing I did forget to mention on original post was also a Stanley Hand Drill with various drill attachments.

Don't think the pics i've got are under 256k but as i've made 3 posts now I should be good to go so will upload some shots soon.

Bump...

Also could anyone tell me what the tools in the 2nd picture are exactly? I assume they're a type of chisel.

Those are mortise chisels (known as pig stickers I think). I'm no expert, but I have bought plenty of rusty tools! I can't see anything of particular interest to collectors. Planes tend to go for the highest prices, but the ones in this chest aren't rare enough to attract their attention. I'll stick my neck out and say that I'd be surprised to see the chest and contents go for more than 100-120 quid.

You will probably get highest prices through eBay selling separately, but there is quite a lot of hassle involved (listing, p&p, fees etc). You could group the tools as sets e.g. Pig stickers, rest of chisels, planes, saws etc. list them so that they finish on a Sunday evening when people are bored and maybe a little squiffy!

Hope this helps. There are better opinions around here than mine though, maybe someone else will post now and tell you why I'm wrong!

Studini":8jwk7y5f said:
... could anyone tell me what the tools in the 2nd picture are exactly?.
The seven on the left are mortice chisels (colloquially known as 'pig stickers') - a particularly sturdy design specifically for excavating deep rectangular holes to receive matching tenons. They seem to be quite sought after, depending on make and condition - have a look on ebay.

I'm no expert, but you seem to have a nice collection of elderly tools - no single item of outstanding value, as far as I can see, but decent quality vintage tools, better than modern mass-produced equivalents (where there is an equivalent, that is). The chest itself, with its graduated shelves, must be worth a bob or two, surely!

Back