Antique saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winezzzs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all just found my great grandfathers rip saw in a damp cellar Ibbotson and Roebank. Im fine cleaning the plate but how would you clean the handle, still damp, can i go kn with raw linseed oil now or do i have to wait for it to dry, worried aboout it cracking when its drying out

Cheers James, will leave it on the tiled kitchen floor then should slow down the drying, would out it in the shed but its a bit precious sentimentally
I'd dry it out slowly.
Don't put it in the airing cupboard!
Once touch dry you can oil it.

Cheers James

Not sure if you planned to removed the handle, however, if the handle is fitted with split type saw nuts, I would not try to remove them, even if you can remove them, the brass threads strip easily and the threads seldom tighten back up again.

Not sure if you planned to removed the handle, however, if the handle is fitted with split type saw nuts, I would not try to remove them, even if you can remove them, the brass threads strip easily and the threads seldom tighten back up again.
Yes its split nut and im not removing the plate, thanks for the advice

linseed oil, boiled or not. I'd get a good bit on it before you allow it to dry as if it cracks when drying, the cracks are permanent.

Cover the plate with linseed as well. Stops rust and just rubs off and polishes up as you use it but stays in any pits or scratches. I wouldn't bother cleaning it beyond brushing off loose rust

Latest posts

Back