Antique Backsaw Identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianUK

Established Member
Reaction score
This old backsaw has come my way from a contact, with mark that I don’t recognise, to be precise, just three letters T&S L.

Seems likely the L is for London ?

It’s a substantial saw,16” plate, rip tooth, would I be correct that it’s a car case saw, seems overly large for tenon work?

6ACECF37-D4D5-4B1C-AFCC-DD8996073638.jpeg
F6061DBD-06C9-4C8C-B70B-1E6620C32DF7.jpeg

According to Simon Barley's excellent book on British Saws, it refers to 'Thomas and Strachan' of North St, Liverpool, active there 1900 to 1918.
He goes on to remark on its rarity and that the mark only assumes that it is the maker's identity - no saws with the full name impressed have been found.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Saws-Sawmakers-Simon-Barley/dp/1909300748
Whether that firm were makers or simply sellers of 'badged' items remains unclear. A Liverpool trade directory from that time may tell more.

I would expect, therefore that the 'L' may refer to .....Liverpool.

I guess with that plate-length and as a carcase saw, it will be used across the grain, so I would expect a small degree of fleam on the tooth, though any Rip saw of 12 to 16 TPI would easily cut across, in my experience.

Last edited:
According to Simon Barley's excellent book on British Saws, it refers toView attachment 135598View attachment 135599, active there 1900 to 1918.
He goes on to remark on its rarity and that the mark only assumes that it is the maker's identity - no saws with the full name impressed have been found.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Saws-Sawmakers-Simon-Barley/dp/1909300748
Whether that firm were makers or simply sellers of 'badged' items remains unclear. A Liverpool trade directory from that time may tell more.

I would expect, therefore that the 'L' may refer to .....Liverpool.

I guess with that plate-length and as a carcase saw, it will be used across the grain, so I would expect a small degree of fleam on the tooth, though any Rip saw of 12 to 16 TPI would easily cut across, in my experience.
Thanks Argus, may be a book I will keep an eye out for.

I should have included that the saw came with a Langdon Star Mitre Box, from reading couple of good online articles/posts, appears this is reasonably scarce and possible quite desirable.

Both the mitre and the saw were not attached for use, but secured together with a piece of hemp type string, so it’s reasonable to assume they were used together, I think the saw would have performed well used this way. The mitre box ( box missing a little misleading ) is cast Millers Falls and a Pat date 1902.

I’d like to say I’ll keep them just in case, but reality they’ll get very little use, any idea how desirable they may be.
2E09F07E-0FD2-4468-895A-2193712C51BD.jpeg
6B9A28E9-5FBB-44F1-836A-B236F343D29D.jpeg

Last edited:
A couple of nice old tools.

The saw will probably clean up nicely and with a good sharpen and set will probably be a good user. The Millers Falls mitre guide is very interesting..... as a pre-First-War it's quite rare.

'Rare' is also a term used in Simon Barley's book to describe the marks on that saw.

Whether the terms 'rare' and 'valuable' come together on these items remains to be seen!

Good luck and thanks for showing them.

Back