Antimicrobial coating for my new, selfmade garden table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobi1186

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
A few weeks ago I started to build a wooden table for my garden. I used Douglas fir squared timbers with the dimensions 45x70 mm and a length of 2m. I really had a lot of fun building the table! I am even a little sad that I am already finished...
And now I'm thinking of coating the table with an antimicrobial coating from Nano Care, as we'll be using the table mainly for eating. I think especially in times of a pandemic and in the garden in general such a coating would be worth it.
Here is the Nano Care page I got the information from: Permanent surface disinfection ✓ Antimicrobial coatings | nanoCare
What do you think? Does anyone know anything about this?

Have to +1 that,save your cash and get a decent outdoor finish such as Osmo oil or other quality product.Buy a packet of Antibacterial wipes if you have any concerns, the snake oil they are peddling is playing on peoples fears of covid as their advertising clearly shows. Congrats on your build(y) and a pic or two would be welcomed:)

I’d recommend eating off plates instead, they can be washed removing the worry about cross-contamination. The claims they make are impressive, I can’t see the studies that support them on their website, you’d think of they had them, they’d be using them.

Osmo UV oil is good but… it’s not for horizontal surfaces, I didn’t believe that either, then it peeled up.

Hello everyone!
A few weeks ago I started to build a wooden table for my garden. I used Douglas fir squared timbers with the dimensions 45x70 mm and a length of 2m. I really had a lot of fun building the table! I am even a little sad that I am already finished...
And now I'm thinking of coating the table with an antimicrobial coating from Nano Care, as we'll be using the table mainly for eating. I think especially in times of a pandemic and in the garden in general such a coating would be worth it.
Here is the Nano Care page I got the information from: Permanent surface disinfection ✓ Antimicrobial coatings | nanoCare

Interesting. Do you have a picture of the table?

I avoid antimicrobials at all costs. They only make our already desperate situation with antibiotic resistant bugs worse. A good clean with soap and a rinse is all that is needed. Use someting more natural.

The idea that wood is more hygienic than plastic has been around a long time, we did some experiments on surfaces years ago, admittedly not using wood as it was for medical use, but our literature search didn’t find anything too plausible to support the claim (most references referred to a study, but didn’t cite it directly or in context) and our own experiments showed most plastics got cleaned just fine by methods a lot less thorough than putting in a dishwasher which is a highly effective way of cleaning things.

Microbial resistance isn’t always something inherent or magical, wood is effective partly as it draws the water away from the material and its killed that way, so drying anything will have the same effect, wood or not. A bit like the antimicrobial power of manuka honey… it’s osmotic pressure, golden syrup, salt and caster sugar works just as well (and when I say well, I mean there’s plenty of better options)

I’d recommend eating off plates instead, they can be washed removing the worry about cross-contamination. The claims they make are impressive, I can’t see the studies that support them on their website, you’d think of they had them, they’d be using them.

Osmo UV oil is good but… it’s not for horizontal surfaces, I didn’t believe that either, then it peeled up.
+1 for Osmo not being for horizontal surfaces. I tried their preservative on oak slats for a bench followed by Osmo outdoor UV resistant etc etc and it is about to be scraped off! I will leave it untreated this time.

Hello everyone!
Haven’t seen any pics of the table but if there are any metal fittings make sure they are stainless steel. I have just made a five bar gate out of DF using SS coach bolts. The hinge set was galvanised so I had it powder-coated as galvanising is not DF-resistant!!

Back