Antikythera mechanism

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrollerman said, QUOTE: The point I'm making here is that any scrollsaw can make a work of art if the person using it is skilled.
Buying a high-end saw does not automatically give you skill....you have to work at it, progress and learn from your mistakes.
The work displayed here by Mechanism Man is possibly the finest I have seen anywhere on this forum and rightly so ! =D> UNQUOTE:

I entirely agree with your point Scrollerman, as is so often the case, "having the kit" does not necessarily lead to success. Mechanism Man's work proves that beyond doubt.

But I would add that having a saw where you don't have a constant struggle not only makes for a much more pleasant experience (you even find yourself WANTING to use the thing just for a quick practice every time you see it), but also does help with accuracy as your skill improves to the point where, for example, cutting a truly smooth curve without bumps to sand out afterwards becomes almost second nature. (I'm hoping to reach that point one day myself!) :D

All power to your elbow (and guiding hand) Mechanism Man.

Happy New Year.

AES

Thank you both, but my work is definately not the best here - there is some stunning work being shown, however, thanks for the compliment!
In truth, I've used a top end Hegner a couple of times and I have to admit they are very nice - very orange too, which is nice. Was it better than my Rexon? Possibly. Did it enable me to do anything that I couldn't do equally well on my Rexon? Erm, no. I certainly wouldn't pay an extra £490 for one just to do what I was already doing. And I do spend many, many hours day in front of mine on a regular basis - the speed is easily controllable (slow is good), vibration is minimal and not a problem, and I cut everything from gear wheels and frames like on this current machine, to small fine fretwork lockets.
I am sure that the top end Hegners and Axminster machines are wonderful, but for most people, most of the time a speed controllable machine for around £150 will do just fine, and will work for many years.
The photo below is of the front face of an Eagle Locket I made as a commission a few years ago (not really my taste, but it was an interesting project) cut on my trusty Rexon - first attempt - no problems.

20140331_215443_zpsidkczchv.jpg

Folks - you really don't need the best saw to do nice work and have lots of fun - you just need lots of practice and the ability to not worry too much when your straight lines initially look like anything other than straight lines...
Happy scrolling.
:)

Lovely piece of cutting MM - as per your usual, very high standard.

Yup it's "practice, practice, practice" all the way - yet another reason to value your work so highly when one realises exactly what lies behind it (some sort of clock has been on my "roundtoit" list for a long time. I'll get there one day).

Happy New Year

AES

Happy new year to you too. I'm hoping that it'll bring more workshop time than 2016!
And yes - as I said before, build a clock, you'll never look back!
All the best,
Dave.

NazNomad":3rszjs37 said:
Brian, check this out ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEOf4aQhMxw

Just replace the fish with a small child or a kitten, repaint the body and BOOM ... Red Kite.

Remember that Kites only flap their wings once every 6 weeks though (at least it seems like it).

Good find! Though I'd also put the wind mill behind him rather than in front so that he doesn't appear to be flying towards certain doom at the hands of the renewable energy wind farm folk!

Hi everyone,
Well since my image hosting site Photobucket suddenly started wanting $499 per year to store the photos I use on this and other forums they have all stopped working - sorry.
Sooo, below is a link to my Pintrest page where you will find several photos of my now FINISHED machine! It's turned out far better than I ever could have hoped - and with the English translated dials the machine can actually be used, and it seems to be relatively accurate. I've been lucky enough to pick up a few commissions along the way so I think I'll now be tied up scrolling gear wheels for the foreseeable future!
Take care all.

:) http://pin.it/aEVQ5q8

That's just beautiful, really brought a tear to my eye. A terrific statement about what makes humanity so amazing. Firstly the invention of such a complex machine from antiquity, and secondly the respect for knowledge passed to bring it back to life.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Great pix MM, thanks a lot for posting your new photo collection.

Just as a matter of interest, do your new commissions include other Antikythera mechanisms (or similar). If yes, how do you feel about starting off from square 1 all over again? The reason I ask is that (apart from the simple fact that my work is nowhere near the quality of yours) the idea of making something for sale and so having to make more than one off (of anything) is very unattractive to me.

AES

Hi AES,
Yes, the commissions are for copies of this first machine - four of them at the last count...
That means around 40 frames, 228 hand cut gears, countless axles, pointers, displays other numerous bits and bobs - and do you know what? I can't wait!
This particular project I've been mulling over for almost as long as I can remember - in fact ever since I read about it in a book by Arthur C Clarke back in the late 70s. Mine is the first one of it's type ever offered for sale, and as such it's something that I'm now deeply passionate about (... maybe weirdly obsessed...?), and its now going to be a big part of my income, and I find that really exciting. I'm finally going to be doing something that I love, for money! And reasonably decent money at that.
My only natural gift is patience, and that's all these machine's need to be honest - lots and lots of patience. And I'm going to use the excuse of building more of them to keep refining the design, so each one is better than the last.
Yes - long hours in my shed, listening to my choice music all day, doing something I love. Sounds good to me!

Oh yes - that fella is in a whole other league to my wooden efforts. He is done kind of God-like being me thinks!

all hail clickspring for he is truelly the finder of lost souls. :)

stunning work Mr Mech, good luck with making them for money. :)

Latest posts

Back