Anti-slip treatment for iPhone.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an iPhone 8 yesterday (there's no way on earth I need all the capabilities of the much too big 11) and it's essentially fine but for one massive design flaw: the surface is so smooth that it is as slippery as an eel. Therefore if I place it on any even slightly sloped surface which is not grippy, after a few seconds it bangs on the floor.

I reckon that I could do with taping something grippy to the rear side of the phone to prevent this. Does anyone know of any material which would be well suited for this purpose (I don't fancy gluing on sandpaper because the thing has to go in my pocket).

You should make something.

Out of wood, ideally.
camera_styled_wood_iphone_4_case_2.jpg

I have a rubber case for my Iphone stops it sliding and protects the screen.
Must get one for my Nokia.

Pete

Thanks, lads. I'd forgotten that they make cases for them (I don't regard myself as a child of the digital age) and come to think of it, I think I was subconsciously approaching it as if it were a woodworking problem. Oops!

I'm always amused that people pay £1,000 for their iPhone, and then buy a case from the pound shop.

Not owning a phone, my second hand knowledge is:
1. Don't take them fishing - they don't get wet without getting grumpy. Neither does the phone owner.
2. Buy a tempered glass cover for the screen. This doesn't stop the phone screen from cracking, but it will frighten the willies out of you when the protective screen cracks, and you think you have ruined your £1,000 phone. Amusing for bystanders, if not for you.
3. Don't use a phone as a foot rest. Ask my daughter - she has learned well.
4. If you own a phone, people will call you on it. Why would you want that?

Apart from the suggestion of buying a pocket holder for your phone Andy, can I also suggest a piece of "non-slip" material? It's in all the DIY places & supermarkets here, sespecially Aldi & Lidl, so I'm pretty sure you'll find it easily in Germany too.

Sorry, my camera isn't working at present, but it consist of a roll or sheet of highly flexible "material" about 5 mm thick. At first sight it looks like an open-weave "matting" but closer inspection shows a "soft, rubberised/plastic-ised webbing" sort of stuff (here in either black or dark grey colour) which can easily be cut with scissors. It's sold (amongst other uses) for use as an anti-slip matting to put on the floor of your car boot.

I use a piece to stop slipping when doing light routering & sanding of small stuff on the bench; and also have cut out a small piece for a flat-ish "shelf" just above the glove box on the pax side in the car to stop bits n pieces sliding around while driving (as well as having a bit on the floor of the car boot for the same reason).

If you want to use your mobile on an angled surface without having to remove it from your new pocket carrying case this may well be the answer. Here it costs but a few franks so should be even cheaper in "Euroland".

HTH

Always amazes me,people buy these phones then moan about the problems they cause,spams,no signals,breaking them,getting contacted by people,etc. etc.etc,I am with trainee neophyte refuse to be a sheep and just don't have one.Ive never owned one and refuse to follow the flock.Perhaps one day I will need one but I won't be spending my hard earned money on a piece of plastic tat that the phone companies charge you just because fools continue to pay the crazy prices they charge.Correct me if I'm wrong but the average prices people pay are around £30 a month,an awful lot of money for a few phone calls.I know I will get some stick from some who rely on their tap a tat blue tooth multi pix super dooper pocket torch carpy camera piece of digital doo dah,but I'd sooner spend my money on something that can actually do something useful,like tools for the workshop.Written expecting some vitreolic comments from the die hard digital converts,by the way Merry Christmas to everyone! (homer)

Absolutely brilliant ,thanks for that Trainee,I was indeed of a good laugh,but on the serious side just look at the problems they cause for the fools who use them when they know they shouldn't,for example the car crashes.

That Stalin quote again: "everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people abuse that right."

Or words to that effect.

kevinlightfoot":3652lh2w said:
Absolutely brilliant ,thanks for that Trainee,I was indeed of a good laugh,but on the serious side just look at the problems they cause for the fools who use them when they know they shouldn't,for example the car crashes.

Yeah I laughed as well however the phones aren't at fault here it's the dimwits who use them, it's like saying a tablesaw or any other tool is at fault when some halfwit sticks their fingers into a spinning blade.

Just as an aside to costs, you don't have to pay £30 a month to get unlimited calls and texts which can easily be a replacement to your house phone if you ditch that. Second hand or out of date phones are available for very little money and sim free plans or PAYG are pretty cheap these days.

However try telling anyone under 30 they don't need a latest phone with all the gadgets. :lol:

Lons":2mx11mrv said:
However try telling anyone under 30 they don't need a latest phone with all the gadgets. :lol:

As an under 30, I look at them as more of a cancer on society than anything else. I don't want to sound hypocritical as I do own a phone purely because I need to own one for work and communication etc... But I didn't own one until I was eighteen, which when I began really needing one, Now I see four-year-olds with their own phones :?. The amount of damage they cause to work productivity is staggering, and it's not even with just the young'uns that always get so looked down upon, some of the worst offenders I've seen are in their mid-life and are constantly checking their phone in work, It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't for the fact it's these people that also say "My kids spend too much time on their phones". It's not even just using the phones in work that harms productivity, people spend too much time at night on the phone in bed flicking through random nonsense until it's 1AM, I ain't no hypocrite, I've done it in the past also, but I've made an effort to plug in the phone across the room and not touch it until the alarm goes off in the morning now so I get a good night's rest.

As per TN's linked video, Someone I went to school with was killed crossing the main road on a blind bend with earbuds in and looking down at the phone screen, with absolutely no spatial awareness at all, killed at fifteen for not looking both ways or hearing anything. I wonder how many deaths across the world can be attributed to similar circumstances. On the contrary though, how many lives have been saved due to a mobile phone? I imagine many, many thousands. I think it all comes down to self-control, it's definitely some form of addiction along with social media etc...

On a related note, my phone contract is ending this month and now my phone is acting up and shutting down in the middle of use even with a decently charged battery. I do wonder whether these things have a pre-determined life so that you're constantly upgrading the damn things, I was hoping to get 5 years at least out of this since I use it very lightly, but if I can't get this problem sorted it looks like it's a 2-year-old throwaway.

Trevanion":21pfet7s said:
Lons":21pfet7s said:

As an under 30, I look at them as more of a cancer on society than anything else. I don't want to sound hypocritical as I do own a phone purely because I need to own one for work and communication etc... But I didn't own one until I was eighteen, which when I began really needing one, Now I see four-year-olds with their own phones :?. The amount of damage they cause to work productivity is staggering, and it's not even with just the young'uns that always get so looked down upon, some of the worst offenders I've seen are in their mid-life and are constantly checking their phone in work, It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't for the fact it's these people that also say "My kids spend too much time on their phones". It's not even just using the phones in work that harms productivity, people spend too much time at night on the phone in bed flicking through random nonsense until it's 1AM, I ain't no hypocrite, I've done it in the past also, but I've made an effort to plug in the phone across the room and not touch it until the alarm goes off in the morning now so I get a good night's rest.

As per TN's linked video, Someone I went to school with was killed crossing the main road on a blind bend with earbuds in and looking down at the phone screen, with absolutely no spatial awareness at all, killed at fifteen for not looking both ways or hearing anything. I wonder how many deaths across the world can be attributed to similar circumstances. On the contrary though, how many lives have been saved due to a mobile phone? I imagine many, many thousands. I think it all comes down to self-control, it's definitely some form of addiction along with social media etc...

On a related note, my phone contract is ending this month and now my phone is acting up and shutting down in the middle of use even with a decently charged battery. I do wonder whether these things have a pre-determined life so that you're constantly upgrading the damn things, I was hoping to get 5 years at least out of this since I use it very lightly, but if I can't get this problem sorted it looks like it's a 2-year-old throwaway.

you'd probably like the book 'the glass cage' by nicholas carr then.

Can't argue with much of that Trevanion but it's still down to people not the object they're using and that includes parents who give their very young kids a phone then don't educate, supervise or restrict them, but if not a 'phone then those same people would be chucking their kids out into the street to play in the traffic or allowing them to access dodgy internet sites unsuitable progs on the TV :roll:

All that said I'm in favour of my 6 year old granddaughter having a mobile as soon as she's at the stage of walking to school unaccompanied as I'm more concerned about her safety from undesirables than anything else and I know her parents are the opposite of those I've described above.

And yes there does seem to be a shelf life on mobiles, wish I still had my old bomb proof Nokia brick.

kevinlightfoot":2989zztu said:
Why would you ditch your house phone,never gets lost ,never needs charging,and always gets a signal.
I haven't but when I look back through the calls receive list on the phone it's fairly sparse these days and certainly less than I receive on my mobile. That includes calls from companies as well as individuals so in reality the amount I spend on anytime calls is largely wasted really and I know several people who have ditched their landline.

My house phones do need charging btw and my wife does manage to misplace it, usually down the back of the sofa #-o

PS
My 92 year old MIL ditched her home phone which she never used as we insisted she kept her mobile with her at all times, proved a godsend twice after she's had a fall, one quite serious.

Back