Anti-slip treatment for iPhone.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kevinlightfoot":2f5tip9i said:
Always amazes me,people buy these phones then moan about the problems they cause,spams,no signals,breaking them,getting contacted by people,etc. etc.etc,I am with trainee neophyte refuse to be a sheep and just don't have one.Ive never owned one and refuse to follow the flock.Perhaps one day I will need one but I won't be spending my hard earned money on a piece of plastic tat that the phone companies charge you just because fools continue to pay the crazy prices they charge.Correct me if I'm wrong but the average prices people pay are around £30 a month,an awful lot of money for a few phone calls.I know I will get some stick from some who rely on their tap a tat blue tooth multi pix super dooper pocket torch carpy camera piece of digital doo dah,but I'd sooner spend my money on something that can actually do something useful,like tools for the workshop.Written expecting some vitreolic comments from the die hard digital converts,by the way Merry Christmas to everyone! (homer)

I'll put my hand up to that as I am obviously guilty. However, I will plead the following in mitigation:

I use it for two things (soon, alas, to be three), one is telephoning and I average about three calls a month. The second is to have quick contact to my emails which is useful on an admin basis. The third is that a club of which I am a member has kicked off something called a "Whatsapp" group and it is that which tipped me into buying the damned thing. I chose Apple because that is what my computer is. Ironically, it won't allow the "Whatsapp" software, so somebody who knows is going to look at it after Christmas.

In my experience the best way to use a mobile is to have a sensible operating concept. Mine is that it is a phone box in my pocket and I only go into a phone box when I need to make a phone call. Unless I'm expecting a phone call, I tend to keep the mobile switched off. By sticking to these guidelines I find that the thing doesn't become a pest.

kevinlightfoot":3l76v7a5 said:
Why would you ditch your house phone,never gets lost ,never needs charging,and always gets a signal.

We have a phone line for internet but there is no phone connected to it. My mobile phone is cheaper to run than a house phone and much more versatile.

The vast majority of calls I receive on the landline are scams of various sorts and sales calls from companies using the TPS list as a source for their calling lists.

Phone/Internet company boasted of a blocked number list, I asked how many and they said 10. I explained I could fill that in two days with all the faked phone caller ID numbers I get.

Very tempted to get rid of landline but mobile reception is not brilliant locally but faster when working than broadband. Perhaps I should have voted for Labour :D

I am not impressed by the zombies I see driving while phoning/texting/watching films on their phones, Unfortunately Darwinian selection does not apply as the idiots seem to be more effective at killing others than themselves.

https://www.truecall.co.uk/product-p/cb1.htm

This would stop your cold calls. It stopped 3-4 calls a day at work and reduced it to maybe 1 in 2 weeks. The one that gets through gets entered to the block list by just pressing number 9 on the handset whilst still speaking to them. I cant explain how good it feels when I tell them I'll get someone to help with their call then proceed to hear back the confirmation from the truecall box that theyve been banned for life. Starting and stopping the machines to answer spam calls use to be a major disturbance, truecall stopped it almost immediately after plugging it in.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Trevanion":1mbjal4p said:
Lons":1mbjal4p said:
However try telling anyone under 30 they don't need a latest phone with all the gadgets. :lol:

As an under 30, I look at them as more of a cancer on society than anything else. I don't want to sound hypocritical as I do own a phone purely because I need to own one for work and communication etc... But I didn't own one until I was eighteen, which when I began really needing one, Now I see four-year-olds with their own phones :?. The amount of damage they cause to work productivity is staggering, and it's not even with just the young'uns that always get so looked down upon, some of the worst offenders I've seen are in their mid-life and are constantly checking their phone in work, It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't for the fact it's these people that also say "My kids spend too much time on their phones". It's not even just using the phones in work that harms productivity, people spend too much time at night on the phone in bed flicking through random nonsense until it's 1AM, I ain't no hypocrite, I've done it in the past also, but I've made an effort to plug in the phone across the room and not touch it until the alarm goes off in the morning now so I get a good night's rest.

As per TN's linked video, Someone I went to school with was killed crossing the main road on a blind bend with earbuds in and looking down at the phone screen, with absolutely no spatial awareness at all, killed at fifteen for not looking both ways or hearing anything. I wonder how many deaths across the world can be attributed to similar circumstances. On the contrary though, how many lives have been saved due to a mobile phone? I imagine many, many thousands. I think it all comes down to self-control, it's definitely some form of addiction along with social media etc...

On a related note, my phone contract is ending this month and now my phone is acting up and shutting down in the middle of use even with a decently charged battery. I do wonder whether these things have a pre-determined life so that you're constantly upgrading the damn things, I was hoping to get 5 years at least out of this since I use it very lightly, but if I can't get this problem sorted it looks like it's a 2-year-old throwaway.

Totally agree with all that.

But I am typing this response on a mobile phone so I am a hypocrite.

I'm slightly over 30, 35. I didn't have a phone until I was 18 which coincided with leaving home and moving away.

It's a useful device, sat nav, MP3 player, camera etc but it spends most of it's time in my vehicle or on the worktop or in my pocket of the trousers I wore yesterday. I have put two through the washing machine in the past. I am considering purchasing a second phone to help me find my first one.

My main gripe is parents with phones. We have a 3 and a 1 year old and it is amazing the amount of parents we know that will be staring at their phone while their kids are basically unsupervised!

Also they definitely have a shelf life that seems to magically coincide with the length of your contract.

You can buy new batteries for most phones and it's not too difficult to change them. I replaced the battery on my old Sony a few years ago. It voids the warranty but by then I couldn't care less.

I think the way to approach mobile phones is the same with any tech, ie you are the master and the piece of tech is the slave, not the other way round. I am late 60s but I love the way the mobile enhances my life - WhatsApp to keep in touch with my kids, apps for bird ID when I go out walking, and an amazing app called Citymapper which when we visit London is absolutely indispensable for travelling round. I pay £5 pm for my phone and my wife’s, as part of my BT contract. I don’t look at it after about 7pm, so I am not in thrall to it, but I would not be without it.

I bet there are plenty of tools in peoples sheds that are hardly ever used ... but are bloody useful when they are!

You're right Geoff,I've got a Leigh dovetail jig and all bells and whistles to go with it and I haven't used it for years,but when I do it's such fun (homer) .

Geoff_S":22qcsy1w said:
I bet there are plenty of tools in peoples sheds that are hardly ever used ... but are bloody useful when they are!

Bet I have most of them :oops:

Andy Kev.":dy1ahcin said:

In my experience the best way to use a mobile is to have a sensible operating concept. Mine is that it is a phone box in my pocket and I only go into a phone box when I need to make a phone call.

Yeah but try changing in your superman outfit in one and see how far you get!

Back