ant nest eradication

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When was Borax banned? I bought a box of it for silver soldering from a hardware shop not that long ago.

When was Borax banned? I bought a box of it for silver soldering from a hardware shop not that long ago.
I think Borax as a name covers a range of related compounds. The compound that was used as a food additive was banned. I have a friend who is an architectural blacksmith who definitely uses “Borax”.

Edit - this seems to explain it Borax - The Chemical Company

IT sounds like it's banned for cleaning purposes.

Side comment - the mrs. went on a huge bender when we first had kids. We cast off all things that weren't "seventh generation brand" or whatever else is sold here that EWG considers to be an "A" level product as far as toxicity goes.

I prefer to use a simple dilution of bleach in my downstairs shower, or peroxide bleach or some sort of oxidizer. I don't hang around in the bathroom and huff it - just spray the shower and then head elsewhere.

What followed was hell on wheels trying to keep things clean that were otherwise simple before.

Eventually the mrs. gave up - thank heavens. She doesn't care about borax (that's mine for forge welding). It would likely remain available from knife supply and there's probably already overpriced dehydrated versions of it (vs. just baking borax for the very anal retentive - I don't do that) that would remain there.

Borax is just the trade name here for "20 mule team Borax".

(forgot about a large bag of Tim-Bor here, also, that I used to eliminate powder post beetles long ago - that would work for ants, but who knows what else is in it and whether or not it would facilitate a forge weld).

Sadly, the population here can't be trusted for anything so the clampdown there will follow here in most states. The skull and crossbones and pictures of not breathing lye along with warnings of water first, lye later ...not enough and a generation of DIY older men lost their drain cleaner (such folks being unlikely to get online and find out that they could just get sodium hydroxide from soap supply for a fraction of the cost of drain cleaner. I am the enabler for my FIL, who is internet connected, but isn't that creative and would fear that sodium hydroxide for making soap might not be the same thing).

Sadly, the population here can't be trusted for anything so the clampdown there will follow here in most states. The skull and crossbones and pictures of not breathing lye along with warnings of water first, lye later ...not enough and a generation of DIY older men lost their drain cleaner
If you really need lye you can make it by soaking wood ash for a week.

I had to dispatch a large underground wasp nest next to someone's front door the other day - the nice man at the farm supply shop said "Pour a gallon of diesel on it - job done". I explained it was too close to the front door for stinky diesel, so he sold me a bottle of banned, extremely illegal organophosphate insecticide. Worked a treat, but I may grow extra limbs over the next few weeks. EU laws working as expected, ie not much :)

Just a thought.….
Many amplifiers have this function built in.
Unless you are attached to or need to use a certain amp, it might be easier to pick up a secondhand amp from social media market place or a well know internet auction site with the required functionality.

just pour creosote on the critters, I got that tip from phil on here and it works well.

Just a thought.….
Many amplifiers have this function built in.
Unless you are attached to or need to use a certain amp, it might be easier to pick up a secondhand amp from social media market place or a well know internet auction site with the required functionality.

That must be called an antlifier!

just pour creosote on the critters, I got that tip from phil on here and it works well.

Relative here had a heated dip decades ago. If stock ever had ants in it, they came out in a huge rush once the stock got in the dip. Creosote became publicly unavailable shortly thereafter. Nothing else works like it, but its also true that the relative died of cancer (he also spent a lot of his life working on electronics and electrical stuff and probably got his share of electromagnetic radiation).

.... he sold me a bottle of banned, extremely illegal organophosphate insecticide. Worked a treat, but I may grow extra limbs over the next few weeks. EU laws working as expected, ie not much :)
It wasn't in a perfume bottle was it? ;)
OP's are a feedstock in producing Novichok and other nerve agents...
My friend's uncle died from the effects of occupational exposure to organophosphates (sheep-dip, primarily) and I know two other people who have died from obscure blood cancers triggered by occupational exposure to other agrochemicals.

It wasn't in a perfume bottle was it? ;)
OP's are a feedstock in producing Novichok and other nerve agents...
My friend's uncle died from the effects of occupational exposure to organophosphates (sheep-dip, primarily) and I know two other people who have died from obscure blood cancers triggered by occupational exposure to other agrochemicals.
Which is exactly why I count my arms and legs every morning, just in case. Oddly it had all the current packaging etc, and look in all ways to be bona fide. It also killed a large underground nest just by poring it on. I was dressed as Captain Condom at the time, but even so I'm not a fan.

I did snap a photo of the guys I bought it from - they looked slightly suspicious...

5026110700000578-6166295-image-a-10_1536911601232.jpg

Tried the neudorff granules.they seem to be working, either that or the hot weather has shut them down. There are virtually no signs of ant activity in the garden... Next thing is dig out the mounds and replace with topsoil then re seed.

If you really need lye you can make it by soaking wood ash for a week.

I vaguely recall when looking for soap recipes that there was a wood ash african soap type. Not that the soap is african if it's made in the US, but that it appears to be a way that soap is made in remote parts of africa. An interesting concept since ashes are one of the filthest things you can find.

Soap supply lye is so cheap in the US, though (and can just be used for drains) - something like $2 a pound.

(and after red-devil changed their formula here to something with less vapor - must've been some kind of regulatory industry agreement without a mandate - it appears some brands of pure lye drain cleaner have popped up).

Other interesting part about it is that the biggest bags of it are sold as a commercial food additive.

Back