Another workshop build project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It feels like its nearly there now and I have started thinking about benches, electrics and such like. Since my last post, progress seems to have been relatively quick. Because the jobs are now mostly inside, I can do a few bits in the evenings. So, I have filled the walls with 100mm insulation which was mostly left behind by my builders in the summer. I ended up a few m^2 short, but B&Q have a 2 for 1 offer at the moment so the roof space now has at least 270mm of insulation.

dscf3896ga4.jpg

I have also fitted the windows and frames. Again, these where removed from the house when the extension was built and I have chopped the plastic frames in half and mounted them horizontally. The window frame to the right is made from two old uPVC frames joined in the middle. I got the openings slightly wrong and had to use a router to remove the groves from around the edges - the plastic snow goes everywhere.

dscf3909rg8.jpg

Using some old 3/4" ply and left-over cladding, I knocked up a barn door. I'll have to remount this at some point as I didn't get the hinges quite right. I also used left-over cladding to fill the soffits, and have some other pieces to make sills for the windows from.

dscf3912tt0.jpg

Putting up the membrane inside seems to take longer than it should and I had to buy a new stapler as the old one literally exploded. The new one also fires pins which has come in handy for holding up cladding on the ceiling which I started doing today.

dscf3915cp6.jpg

I have lined the inside with 1/2" ply and also installed the fuse box and an earth rod. I have also given the outside a coat of creosote.

dscf3930rj3.jpg

dscf3936iy0.jpg

Now I'm thinking of where to fit benches, lighting, power sockets etc. hopefully, I'll get some time tomorrow to put some more of the ceiling cladding up and cut the timber for the main bench in front of the windows. I've enjoyed the building so far (apart from the roof felt) but really want to get the lathe out again, sharpen the tools and start turning again. however, before I can do that I have to make a barn door for my daughters bedroom and I have started to notice all the jobs that need to be done to complete the house extension. It's going to be a busy few weeks until Christmas :eek:

Andy, looks like your build is coming along nicely. Nice to see you have a bit more space to work in than me :lol: I see you are you not putting your electrics behind the panelling - Any reason?

Hi Shultzy, I haven't put the wiring behind the panelling because I know that if I did this I'd only want to run it somewhere else when I fit the inside or not have enough sockets where I want them. Also, I thought this would complicate things (which I can easily do!) and make evolution of the circuits harder. When we did the extension to our house over the summer, I put 4 double sockets in each room and yes, didn't put any in useful places when the children decided where they wanted their furniture. I also managed to make the foil-backed platerboard live at one point and could imagine me putting screws through wires behind the panels. This is especially embarassing as I am a chartered electrical engineer :oops:

Very nice. :D

But can you please put two cladding filler strips underneath the windows just to finish it off and restore symmetry. :wink:

Chris.

mrbingley":1qwxjdvn said:
Very nice. :D

But can you please put two cladding filler strips underneath the windows just to finish it off and restore symmetry. :wink:

Chris.

I certainly will Chris. I will add it to my list.
Andy

Looking very nice indeed, although you do still need to correct your spelling on the word NOGGING - unless you're American! :wink: :D

I like the way you increased the size of some of your noggings; I guess tha means you won't have to double up with timber to the inside face of the wall.

When you next attempt to rehang those stable doors, you could try temporarily bracing them together, as if they were a solid door, and refitting as if it is one.

Looking forward to seeing the completion of this project pretty soon then - and then we'll see just how quickly that wonderful space just dissapears!! :wink: :D

OPJ":1t5cxor7 said:
When you next attempt to rehang those stable doors, you could try temporarily bracing them together, as if they were a solid door, and refitting as if it is one.

Looking forward to seeing the completion of this project pretty soon then - and then we'll see just how quickly that wonderful space just dissapears!! :wink: :D

Thanks for that OPJ. Now I think about it, its seems obvious, but I've already owned up to complicating things :lol: As for the space, I'll have to work out what to do with all the old car parts that used live in the previous workshop as I don't want them down there anymore. As for the *noggings* it seems that I have a predisposition to stick a g on the end of anyting ending in ???in.

I've now clad the ceiling with B&Q el-cheapo cladding. That was harder work than the outside. The off-cuts make excellent kindling - you can light a fire with just a lighter with that stuff. I have also started to make some work surfaces to go along the walls in front of the windows. I've really been enjoying making this, but found recently that I forget that it is a place that I am making to make things in. Some strange psychology in this shed building lark!

Maia28":3l253i6p said:
The off-cuts make excellent kindling - you can light a fire with just a lighter with that stuff

Well, just as long as you don't smoke inside your workshop, you'll be fine!

:wink: :D

I got to do some turning tonight for the first time in six months, so the workshop must be nearly there. After finishing the cladding on the ceiling I put up five HF flourescents with daylight bulbs. These give a good, shadow free, light inside and don't seem to strobe rotating machines at all. Outside I have fitted some PIR flood lamps which make finding the door/getting wood for the stove much simpler. As soon as I got the bench up under the windows, the lathe was installed as this is my main interest and I want everything to fit around that.

dscf3947hh7.jpg

Of course, I have ended up doing half these jobs in the wrong order. After building a bench under the other window, the walls got a coat of emulsion and the ceiling a coat of varnish. The benches are made from 4x2, mate with the wide noggins in the studwork and are topped with 3/4" ply for the time being. Eventually, I will also fit shelves in some of the bays and make some doors.

dscf3971hz2.jpg

I went a bit mad with the sockets and so far have fitted 25 onto the ring main including on the cross-braces. Its been good to get some of the larger stuff out of the garage and I may even get my other car back in there before Christmas. Not sure that I'll keep the blue metal benches.

file0250wd1.jpg

I had to modify the kitchen to install a tumble dryer, so gained the cupboards at the back. The smaller one has a full height larder shelf that pulls out. I'm sure that this will be useful, but for what? I used screwfix slot shelving and yet more 3/4" ply to put shelves over the windows and elsewhere screwed into the studs.

dscf3991kj8.jpg

dscf3993de3.jpg

I've also done a few jobs outside and will put up some guttering to fill a water butt when it stops raining. And, yes OPJ, the space seems to be vanishing very quickly indeed :shock:

" I got to do some turning tonight for the first time in six months "

Well ,what did you make :?:

Photos please of your first turning in you NICE new workshop :wink:

Maia28":19u0vrll said:
the space seems to be vanishing very quickly indeed

You're not kidding - it seems to have gone from "large space" to "full" over the course of your last post :lol:

Looks good,nice and cosy;hope you enjoy it :D

Andrew

Hi Andy, its looking very good, but I'm beginning to be worried. My 'shop is 4ft shorter and 2ft narrower and yours already looks full, and I have as much equipment as you have. :(

:D Looking forward to Schultzy's workshop extension then! :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

Regards Tom

Blister":2zztpzgr said:
" I got to do some turning tonight for the first time in six months "

Well ,what did you make :?:

Photos please of your first turning in you NICE new workshop :wink:

Mostly sawdust , Blister. As its advent, a bell shaped thing is in progress. Can't find any sanding or finishing products at present so I'll have to keep tidying the garage before that gets shown.

Andrew & Shultzy, there's still plenty more "stuff" to go back in. It certainly got cosy cutting an 8x4 which is one of the reasons I'm thinking the metal benches will have to go. I just love moving that drill :shock:

Latest posts

Back