Another wood ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart little

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone know his one? The camera has lied, the wood is actually darker (too much sunlight), it was salvaged many moons ago.

IMG_4890.JPG
IMG_4891.JPG
IMG_4893.JPG
IMG_4895.JPG

I don't know what happened but it uploaded before I had typed the details. The RH end of last photo is more to the colour. The wood was salvaged many moons ago from a branch of the 'Black Horse'. It had been dry stored since, & originally a dark stain/varnish applied. The nearest I got to an ID was on the Wood Database, where it looked like Dutch & Wych Elm?

I don’t think it’s mahogany or Sapele as there’s no black flex in it I’m going with cherry

My bet is on cherry,I laid 100 square M on a floating floor,still have some off cuts,lovely wood.

A good test for cherry is plane a piece and then cover a section and see how quick the colour changes after a day or two. Years ago I planed up a piece and left a cabinet scraper on it in the sun, after a couple of hours there was a strong shadow on it.
cheers
Andrew

I’m joining the Cherry consortium. I used a lot of parana pine in the seventies and generally found the colour variations to be a bit wilder than that. Almost vivid reds along with varying cream colours. I agree with the gentleman who suggested checking the speed of darkening in sunlight. Just sand an area and leave it in sunlight with a post it note attached. In my experience the speed of darkening is pretty rapid and the little square of lighter wood will be obvious.

Latest posts

Back