Another which bench saw question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

With my retirement next year, I have decided to treat myself to a saw.

I have been thinking about this for 4 years (never been one to rush an important purchase) and have done nothing except go around in circles and am no closer now to making my mind up than I was 4 years ago.

Any advice would be much appreciated, price and size are not issues, anything goes, I intend to do a wide variety of work and would like a sliding carrage but would consider a saw without one.

Thanks
Dan

Dan,

Well I can certainly recommend the Scheppach TS2500, having recently bought one myself :D. If you search the forums you will find lots of posts about this TS, plus an excellent comparison review by Adam of this and the Jet TS.

But you should also factor in a dust extraction system if you don't have one already - that was the mistake I made....

regards,
Martin.

Hi Danman,

Recently; I too was looking for a Table saw, I have now pretty much made up my mind, I just need a few more coppers in the piggy bank.

I thought about the work I wanted to do now, and possibly in the future. I then thought about the size and weight of the unit. I have a large double garage that I would still like to use for the cars, sometimes :wink: This means I will need to move the unit so it can be stored to one side.

Support was another major issue, it's no good buying a machine if you can't get any parts or help in two years..

I used the Search link at the top of the page, to try and find about what units seamed to fall into my category and then looked at what people thought about them.

Hope this helps.

1/2Frog, and? and? and?........Saw?

Rgds

Noel

Thanks for replies.

Price is not important, that's not to say I'm loaded but after 50 years of hard work, I want to indulge myself and set up my dream workshop.

Size is not an issue either, I bought my house from a builder who had a brother on the council, so I have a workshop 60 x 30, which is built better than the house!

I will be using all materials ( I have about a million projects in my mind).

The last setup I settled on was a Jet saw and a Axminster wall panel saw but I'm just not sure on the Jet, after reading so many good things on this site about Sheppach and starting to be drawn back.

HELP!!!!

Danman, make sure you go with cast iron top, whatever you end up with.

Noel

Hi Danman,

For your info; I am saving for the Sheppach TS2500ci.

PS. I got rid of the Space, weight, etc comment as Noel didn't seem to like it.

DemiFrog":1r6uh1q5 said:
Hi Danman,

For your info; I am saving for the Sheppach TS2500ci.

PS. I got rid of the Space, weight, etc comment as Noel didn't seem to like it.

What??? Why, what was wrong the space, weight words? I just wanted to know what you had decided to go for.

Noel

No problemo.

Noel

Doctor, I think I'm going deaf.
What are the symptoms?
Little yellow cartoon characters......

welcome to the nuthouse Danman, well as we have said to others here 0 it all depends on the type of woodwork you want to carry out.
Joinery, boxmaking, model making, cabinet making or just hobby work.
Once this geneeral parameter is know, the advice will tumble from peoples keyboard.
So we wait for further info from you.
all the best from HS

danman":holblfua said:
Thanks for replies.

Price is not important, that's not to say I'm loaded but after 50 years of hard work, I want to indulge myself and set up my dream workshop.

Size is not an issue either, I bought my house from a builder who had a brother on the council, so I have a workshop 60 x 30, which is built better than the house!

I will be using all materials ( I have about a million projects in my mind).

The last setup I settled on was a Jet saw and a Axminster wall panel saw but I'm just not sure on the Jet, after reading so many good things on this site about Sheppach and starting to be drawn back.

HELP!!!!

>The last setup I settled on was a Jet saw and a Axminster wall panel saw

Have you considered a Festool circular saw and guide - it seems to get very highly rated here - almost more so that a wall panel saw. Use the search facility and type "Festool" and you'll pick up loads of info.

I don't think you need to worry about the Jet/Scheppach decision - either company produce superb saws - and there is really little to choose between. It's wel worth going and having a play with both of them - it'll settle you on one or the other.

For every opinion you read here - you can't beat seeing them in the flesh - it's well worth a reasonably long drive for a test/demonstration - if it convinces you you have made the right/wrong choice before you hand the plastic over!

Adam

I would second what Adam just said

I would also say do not believe that cast iron is neccesarily better than aluminium as this is complete and generalisation and utter rubbish to boot!!

SOME cast iron saws are better than SOME aluminium ones.

Tony":1q67qm0z said:
I would also say do not believe that cast iron is neccesarily better than aluminium as this is complete and generalisation and utter rubbish to boot!!

Good point, Tony, and I'm speaking here as the owner of an aluminium saw that is better than many cast iron ones

John

Thanks for all the replies, I thought there was a chance you would be fed up anwsering this particular question.

In the main I shall be making furniture.

I had not considered the Festool, because until I read about it here, knew nothing about it.

I must admit that I have always thought of cast iron & dismissed ally, have I got that wrong?

I do realise that any decision I make now could completely change when I actually handle the machine and I certainly will not order anything without first having a good look and feel.

I have always "made do" with the various machines I've had and want to get things right, I hate that feeling after buying something, when you think " I wish I would have paid the extra and got so & so instead".

Thanks again
Dan

Tony":31ni2b8d said:
I would second what Adam just said

Tony & John E, who said CI was better than Ali?????? I mentioned that at the price point Danman is considering I'd go for a cast iron top. Nobody, least I, made a general comment that all cast iron saws are better than aluminium saws. Certainly, regarding quality saws, I'd take iron any day of the week and considering how much iron there is in the £1,000+ market it seems that the manufacturers feel that the purchasing public prefer iron.
On a more constructive I agree with Adam that a Festool or similar setup is a good choice rather than a £1,700 wall saw and will complement a tablesaw. If I were in your position I'd give serious consideration to an Xcaliber tablesaw (yes, it's got lots of iron...) supplied by Woodford. Our esteemed fellow member Philly has recently purchased one and you can check it out here
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ht=stacked
Pages 4 & 6 etc. Other possibilities as well as the Jet SS are the DeWalt 746 (great saw but a bit pricey) and the various Sheppach, Record Power etc.

Noel

Hi Dan,
Sorry, a bit slow getting here....
Cast iron is what you want for you "Ultimate Table Saw" tm! :roll:
If Sheppach are now re-issueing all there machines with iron not ally tops that has got to tell you something!
Go with solid, simple construction-not gadgets!
regards
Philly :D

Philly":l7869w3q said:
Hi Dan,
Sorry, a bit slow getting here....
Cast iron is what you want for you "Ultimate Table Saw" tm! :roll:
If Sheppach are now re-issueing all there machines with iron not ally tops that has got to tell you something!
Go with solid, simple construction-not gadgets!
regards

I realise that you are probably joking, but just in case anyone should take your post seriously...
Where are scheppachs tops made? Could it possibly be a well known country in the far east? Could it possibly be that cast iron from China is CHEAPER than aluminium from Germany?
John

John,
Joking? Joking? :roll:
No, let me be clear-YOU WANT A CAST IRON MACHINE!

Open Invitation
All forum members are welcome at my workshop. I will be holding cast iron conversion classes, held by my table saw and jointer.
You are all welcome and I promise I will settle any doubts or misconceptions you have.
Just email me before you turn up.

regards,
Dead Serious

If I were in the market for a new table saw one of the top priorities would be the fence system.I needs to be very accurate and easy to set and stable once set. For me that would carry more weight than Ali v C/I

Back