Another what wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimB

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend recently offered me some wood as his garden was becoming overgrown. Most of it is apricot but one piece about eight inches in diameter isn't. It's not an Australian native but is becoming increasingly popular for its fast growing properties as well as being ornamental. The wood is relatively light in weight and as the pictures show is very pale in colour except for some of the heartwood. I've no idea if it grows in the UK.

Attachments

• What1.jpg
    What1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 1,153
  • what2.jpg
    what2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,153
  • what3.jpg
    what3.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,153
Walnut grows pretty well across here but this isn't it. I also was surprised at how similar the heartwood is to walnut.

This is definitely a two-way process. I'd never heard of foxglove wood so looked it up and found that it is the same species. The tree that is common in this area has deeper blue flowers rather than the lavender of the foxglove tree, but it is a paulownia.
thanks for that Marcros.

Random Orbital Bob":2k6kvhva said:
turned it? I've never even 'erd of it :)
The nurseries were doing big business with it out here, it will grow just about anywhere but needs water to grow at the promised rates. The myth/fact that went with it was that if you planted one when a child was born it would provide wood for furniture by the time they married. It's a beautiful flowering tree and makes a great feature if you are into that sort of gardening.

When you mentioned surfboards I thought it must be Paulownia :)

I've never tried working with it - its not a very common tree here - they are also called the tree of heaven I think, and are grown more for ornamental purposes in the UK.

The main use I have heard of is for surfboards as its quite light. It is also said to make one of the best charcoals for making fast burning gunpowder.

Jimmy, there has been a lot of talk about setting up plantations to take up water from sewage treatment plants but I'm not sure if any eventuated. However, Google shows lots of plantations around the world. No wonder the Chinese had a flying start with gunpowder. :roll:

Latest posts

Back