Another what is this please posting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive had this for 20 years I bought it with a woodturning lathe from the son of an experienced and pretty good turner who had died. The son had no idea what it was for and it didn't fit in with any of the turning associated tools dust extractor (or anything else in his workshop) including the odd jigs we all make from time to time for the odd one off's.
Its heavy part brass handle winds easily the threaded portion holds in place with a grub screw see photos - can post more if that helps
DSCF5621.JPG
DSCF5625.JPG
DSCF5622.JPG
DSCF5623.JPG

If when turning the handle the shaft advances out at the threaded adapter end it is a threading tool for the lathe. It is put in the tool post with the chuck and work on the threaded adapter. Positioned so that when advanced is goes over a cutter mounted in the lathe headstock to cut the threads in a wood box or its lid. There may have been some kind of cross slide that went with it but you could if careful setting the tool rest could get by as is. You just need one of the cutters the others in the link sell.

Along the lines of these.
https://chefwarekits.com/Threading-Jigs-c9880435https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathe-accessoires/jigs/hope-easy-threading-jig/https://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/bathma.html
Pete

Absolutely spot on Pete many thanks, thats a long outstanding mystery solved.
Not that Ive worried about it for that long but every now and then I come across it pick it up wind the handle in and out perhaps take the threaded part off the end look and say to myself well its good quality engineering well made -- put it back again and think well I dunno and carry on - all's well with life.
I never thought to place it with the lathe before, I have now, the stem fits my lathe banjo assembly my chuck fits onto the threaded part - its the same thread as my headstock spindle. Now that this has all been revealed I do vaguely remember that the previous owner made children's toys and threaded boxes so this is what he used, I don't recall any cross slide in the collection of things that were being sold but maybe there was. The stem part that fits into the banjo has a loose section of copper pipe that fits over the stem and leaves about 21/2" uncovered. I suspect that when the stem is slotted into the banjo the copper pipe was a depth gauge or height stop so that the height at where the cutter was held would be constant and not reliant on the user getting the height right when putting the tool into the banjo.

I've looked at the links you sent so I see how it works, I've attached another photo with the handle wound outwards. The round disk next to the handle is free to rotate, (but fixed in position ie it cant slide along the thread towards the body) there are 2 holes in the disk but no holes in the main body. Perhaps the space between the disk and the body had a spacer inserted to that when the handle is wound inwards and the cutter (on the other end) moves into the workpiece it stops at a depth selected by the thickness of the inserted spacer (and cuts the thread to the depth you need) Perhaps the 2 holes were intend for a spacer to be clipped into or screwed into?

The only thing thats not clear is how the thread is cut, yes I can see how the cutter cuts and you wind the handle to move the cutter and form the thread but why doesn't it just act as a gouge and just cut the wood away instead of forming the thread. I will need to think on this and watch a few more YouTubes until its clear.
thanks again
Paul

DSCF5699.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul you take your chuck and project off the headstock spindle in one and put it on the jig. Then you put another chuck on the headstock with the cutter. You position the jig in the banjo or cross slide mechanism and position it so that when you turn on the lathe and the cutter is spinning, you turn the handle on the jig. The project and chuck advance towards the headstock, turning into the cutter at the same pitch as the brass thread, cutting the thread. Think about it and you'll have an Ah Ha moment in a few minutes and have it figured out.

Pete

Lathe speed? fast slow?
Ive been waiting for the aha and have watched part of the Hope video a few times - I think Ive got it now. The cutter is spinning but stationary - the project moves in or out at the speed of the thread of the handle/tool thread so as thats constant it will only allow the cutter to cut where you allow it. So winding the cutter in or out doesn't matter as its only cutting the same place (if you follow)
Cheers and thanks again
Paul

I had never heard the term “threaded box” before and had to look it up,,and they are just that, Threaded boxes,,how smart is that, if I were into turning they are somthing I would certainly want to make.
Steve.

Back