Another use for cable ties Upholstery folk do not look at this one :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
So my son was sitting on a dining chair and allegedly not leaning back on the back two legs - anyway sharp crack and the joints to the crossrail on the back of the chair had broken. Both tenons broken at an angle in the mortice slot. It has a cross strut/brace diagonally on each corner not screwed but has a toothed/groove on the chair frame and the strut glued in place. One part of one strut had pulled out the other end of it nearly out, the other strut just a bit too loose.
Anyway cleaned out old glue remade joints as best possible - I was not going to strip the chair into components glued/clamped and it looks ok
As usual for a dining room chair there were 4 large coil springs and criss-cross of webbing. When the chair was made the webbing is stretched tightly, as I had no inclination to buy a roll of webbing and a stretcher tool I used the existing webbing but came across the problem that the 4 large springs were underneath the webbing and would need compressing to be able to pull the web across.
Mission impossible as the spring tension and shortness of the web made this a not going to happen job. Tried to hold the springs down but too strong then the aha moment .. out came the long heavy duty cable ties that were just waiting for a job used 2 on each spring compressed them nicely web stapled in place and all done.

Attachments

• DSCF7623.JPG
    DSCF7623.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF7627.JPG
    DSCF7627.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Back