Another two chessboards.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't start off with the intention of selling them, but I've made 6 and sold them all. Haven't found a buyer for the black framed one yet, but I expect I will sooner or later.
@Peri, how do you decide your pricing? I'm guessing that if you charged even the minimum wage on actual time taken you'd price yourself out of the market ....

Firstly, woodwork is a hobby for me. I work in teaching/engineering, so my weekends are all about just enjoying being out in the shed, with the dog, pottering about - the money isn't that important. That's a long winded way of saying I don't do it as a business, and even if I didn't charge I'd still be making stuff, so in one way I kind of look at the payments as a bonus :)

Having said all that, now I'm finding that people are happy to pay for my work. A friend said to me "You're happy to pay the garage £70 an hour in labour to work on your car - why is your time worth less?". He has a point, so I work out the hours, multiply it by that, add materials, and that gives me a price that a business might charge. Then I halve it......and maybe take off some more.

Big point in my favour is I don't actually care if someone buys it or not. I'm happy to have it sat in the house for the next two years, eventually someone will like it enough to buy it.

Firstly, woodwork is a hobby for me. I work in teaching/engineering, so my weekends are all about just enjoying being out in the shed, with the dog, pottering about - the money isn't that important. That's a long winded way of saying I don't do it as a business, and even if I didn't charge I'd still be making stuff, so in one way I kind of look at the payments as a bonus :)

Having said all that, now I'm finding that people are happy to pay for my work. A friend said to me "You're happy to pay the garage £70 an hour in labour to work on your car - why is your time worth less?". He has a point, so I work out the hours, multiply it by that, add materials, and that gives me a price that a business might charge. Then I halve it......and maybe take off some more.

Big point in my favour is I don't actually care if someone buys it or not. I'm happy to have it sat in the house for the next two years, eventually someone will like it enough to buy it.
I do exactly the same with the things I make like charcuterie boards, coasters, clocks etc. Working with wood and resin, everything is unique so it’s difficult to be exact with pricing. I wouldn’t under-do the pricing though as your cheapening the quality of your work.
For me it’s the perfect scenario. I truly love my hobby but it’s not the be all and end all to sell loads of stuff

Thanks for that. I work pretty slowly (and spend a lot of time fixing my own cock ups), so might have to write off more than half my hours!

As you improve, you'll make less mistakes and naturally get quicker. My joinery and constructions is much, much better (both in application and technique) than it was when I started my hobby, but my finishing still sucks. Many times I'll have to give it 3 or 4 attempts before I'm happy.

And don't forget, if it's a hobby, you're not putting the hours in that someone in the trade does, and you haven't got the motivation that "If it's not done right first time, in time, you're not paying the rent this week" :)

My friend also said "All learning costs - whether you're paying for someone else's knowledge, materials, equipment..... or your time"

Last edited:
These are absolutely terrific mate. Love them.

I think you should be charging the market price for your work. After all, you obviously qualify for this in terms of quality. Furthermore, you don’t want to contribute to devaluing woodworking in general as there are so many of us in this sector who rely on fair pricing to feed our families.

Last edited:
I took up woodworking as a hobby on retirement - although over the years had become a reasonably competent diyer. I aspire to producing things of the quality of the chessboards.

I thought about earning some money from my new found hobby. I rapidly came to the conclusion it would no longer be a hobby but a business.

I would start to worry about sourcing materials cheaply. Optimising processes and equipment to reduce production time. Standardising designs to reduce costs and justify making jigs. Marketing, sales, trade shows (at least craft fairs). Differentiating myself from the competition etc etc etc.

This is sort of what I did before I retired as a business and financial manager. I do it for the pleasure of using tools, creativity, thinking through different problems (practical and design) etc. If I make things for others it is as a gift, smaller items warrant a bottle of single malt.

Latest posts

Back