• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Another timber ID...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

johnbb99

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a pallet made of this, it was really rough before planing. it's dense, heavy.
As you can see, parts have wild grain.
I'm assuming that if it were oak, there would be more staining, but maybe it wasn't wet or old enough for the staining to have developed. I dunno.
Any ideas, anyone?

Attachments

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
I‘m no expert at all but that last photo of the planed wood looks like Meranti (Shorea or one of its many variants). Certainly seen it used for pallets.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
The problem with pallets is that they can come from all over the world, and be made from whatever is readily available- often we don't know the origin, and if told the name, we wouldn't have heard of it!

Beyond brown hardwood you may never know the answer!

Stevekane

Established Member
Reaction score
Cant help with the identification but its turned out to be a nice looking but of timber with real character,,and all from an old pallet.

johnbb99

Established Member
Reaction score
The grain is a bit of a nightmare though! (But without, it wouldn't be so interesting...)

johnbb99

Established Member
Reaction score
Rubberwood....from the rubbish left after the best has been taken for furniture.
How sure are you of this id? I'm not testing / questioning you, just wondering if you're familiar with rubberwood, as i'm not.

planesleuth

Established Member
Reaction score
Am certain. Have worked on plantation and associated timber yard in Indonesia. Masses on this stuff is sold on to palleters.

Latest posts