Another slot filled

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
Visited The Toolman in the market today. He had a very nice looking Stanley #7 jointer.
Could I resist it? :roll:
Like hell I could! :?

Very nice clean condition, real rosewood handles, not stained beech. Not the original blade unfortunately but I may get another anyway. The lever cap is not the modern sort with the kidneyish shaped hole but just the keyhole shape. I believe this means it is quite old?

Carried it around town for about an hour, hadn't realised just how heavy these really are. :?

Anyway, been sitting on my desk in work all afternoon and has drawn quite a few comments as you can imagine.

Looking forward to actually using it although not much chance as we are away for a few weekends now.
Oh well, perhaps I'll leave it on my desk in work and fondle it every now and then. :wink:

Barry,

The word sad comes to mind....
But, how much did the kind man in the market trouser?

Rgds

Noel

Barry,

YOU SUCK

I found one in a garage sale not far from me. I picked it out from the other bits of rusty metal and asked the price, the SWMBO went and asked and I was told £35, I was taken a back the sole was very rusty the back of the mouth had a chip out of it and the tote cracked in two. When I said that was too much she said they are over £100 new, don't think my comet about being useable went down very well as I parked it back on the rust heap. :cry:

Barry,

I tried, belive me I am very trying, but the price did not budge from £35. I would of paid £20, might even thought about £25, but no way was it worth £35 it needed hours of work to make it usable. :shock:

Barry,

Nice score. If you want to take a crack at dating its age, wander over to this link.

Of course I'm not jealous in any way. My c.1960/70s #7 is fine. I like that cracked lacquer effect on the stained beech handles and that oh-so-flashy lever cap. Yessir. :roll: Like the man says, vacuums form in your vacinity. :p :lol:

Cheers, Alf

mudman":3opojpe5 said:
I handed over £38, not sure if that is good or bad but the condition is very good and I've seen them go on eBay for much more.
Hi Mudman, you did not bad at £38......I paid £66 new for my Record No.7 about 14 years ago and sold it 3 months ago on ebay for £64, so at £38, I'd consider it a bargain. It looks as if your plane was made before the early 30s.
"During the early 1930's, the hole (on the lever cap) was redesigned (and patented) so that it has a kidney shape design. This change was done to address the supposed problem with the lever cap backing upward, off the lever cap screw, as the iron was drawn back while turning the adjusting screw. The planes had been made some 70 years, and used successfully for that same time, without the kidney-shaped hole so it seems that Stanley made the design change as a gimmick to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack. " Quote from The Superior Works: Patricks Blood and Gore.
Enjoy using your jointer............Mike.

Well, I tried dating it and the flowchart makes it a Type 15 made between 1931 and 1932, however...
Looking at the type studies doesn't seem to agree with what I've actually got.
There is a raised ring for the front knob, no patent or foundry numbers, no raised flat rib which indicate Type 15.
However, this type is supposed to have the Bailey marking behind the knob, mine's in front and the Made In USA marking behind the frog whereas mine has it in front of the frog behind the knob.
I'm sort of assuming that it is somewhere between the type 14 and 15, unless of course that it is some sort of other weird hybrid.
It does have the number 468 stamped into the underside of the frog which isn't mentioned anywhere.
Anyway, non of that really matters. What matters is that I think that I've found a really nice user that has been wel looked after. All that is needed is to sharpen the blade and to see how the shavings come out. :)

Oh, and sorry about the draft, it seems I've been doing a fair amount of sucking. :eek: [/quote]

mudman":2t6y7ol2 said:
Looking at the type studies doesn't seem to agree with what I've actually got.
Ahh, the familiar story. Don't forget the type study is based on the #4, which had considerably less choice of room for putting "Bailey" and so forth than a #7. Doesn't matter anyway; sounds like you've got one from Stanley's glory days to me. :D

Cheers, Alf

Ah of course, I did read that but it didn't sink in.

Yep, you're right it doesn't matter really. It is definitely old and has been well cared for and considering that we ar talking about 75 years, it is quite remarkable. I'm looking forward to trying it out at the weekend when I get home. :D

I think it maybe time to build that toolbox. :?

Back