Another "skip dive".

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
In light of the other thread here's another :wink:

When I first seen these timbers they were in position as salvaged mock kingpost trusses.
I had no idea they were coming out until a while later, having gone back to do some work, I saw them, cut up into shorts, buried in the skip :twisted:
Being of a certain nature I had to dig em out along with apx 16@ 1/2 thick steel connecting plates =P~
This was a real crabby "dive" as the skip had been filled and rained on but alas after a few trips they were rescued.
So, for my troubles, in between bolt holes, nails and mortices I have a selection of 12"X5" pitch pine 8)

Did some rollers with some :wink:
racksaw-rollers-t83520.html?hilit=%20racksaw

Andy

Woodchips2":2n1mndbc said:
Good find Andy =D>

But why do they send stuff like this to landfill when there is a whole forum here waiting to reuse it ? (hammer)

Regards Keith

I know its criminal

Well done for the find, nice looking stuff!
When you're sawing and working this pitch pine, Please will you capture or can the pine smell and send some to me?
Absolutely the best workshop smell, ever.
Rodders

missing pictures
010.JPG
009.JPG
016.JPG
015.JPG
014.JPG
008.JPG

Last edited:
The frames holding up the roof of the church lych gate where we lived some 30-40 years ago had rotted where they joined the wall plate, so paid a visit to the local salvage yard and came away with four balks of pitch pine for, from memory, about £20, which got spliced in to the uprights. The scent while working it was superb.
According to local rumour, the guy who ran the yard was one of the millionairs in Bedfordshire. Not that you'd have thought it to see him!

I had some pitch pine that had been used as staves in tanks in a tannery, the top 1/4" was dry & dusty & stained with the dye from the vats. Cut past that & it was good as new. It had such a resin content that cutting it was difficult & the saw blade had to be brushed ocassionally with parafin to lubricate it. I remember being covered in sticky sawdust that could be moulded into wonderful smelling balls.
I tried thicknessing some & the planer jammed up with resin after a few feet, we had to finish it off by hand.

How did you cut that?

Massive bandsaw??
Because of the need to keep the crown cut on the top of the floor blocks, most of the splayed cuts were done with a Makita 18v circular saw with some hand cutting past the blade depth on through cuts.
Looks like I'm in line to make another 250 blocks shortly....
Ironically the special cut anything bandsaw blade I ordered was too fine and gummed up quickly.

Still got a bit leftover
IMG_20220622_194057.jpg
Cheers, Andy

I had some pitch pine that had been used as staves in tanks in a tannery, the top 1/4" was dry & dusty & stained with the dye from the vats. Cut past that & it was good as new. It had such a resin content that cutting it was difficult & the saw blade had to be brushed ocassionally with parafin to lubricate it. I remember being covered in sticky sawdust that could be moulded into wonderful smelling balls.
I tried thicknessing some & the planer jammed up with resin after a few feet, we had to finish it off by hand.
Interesting. I picked up some exactly the same, and was going to use it when my chemist daughter pointed out that the term "chrome leather" arises from the use of Chromium in tanning. She pointed out that chromium, in chromate form, is highly carcinogenic and insisted I didn't use it.

Thats me done for then!, this was bright yellow & we shoveled loads of it of the surface. I did wear a decent powered respirator though.

Latest posts

Back