Another shed thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagly

Established Member
Reaction score
My bank holiday weekend project was to build a shed like this one.....

Zoom117.jpg

...for which there are some quite detailed instructions in this book....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Like-...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333993313&sr=8-1-spell

Unfortunately, with disruptions caused by rain and visiting family, I've only got this far......

phpwzBQs3AM.jpg

...or a bit further actually but I didn't take a picture.

Now for the advice. In the book they use primered clapboard (feather edge board) for the external cladding. I would really like to use the same thing but I can't find a supplier.
The way I see it, my alternatives are:
1. use feather edge fencing board and stain it.
2. use shiplap boards and paint them.

I really don't want to use shiplap because I want the 'New England' look and shiplap doesn't create the shadows between boards (I know i'm being fussy!) So I think in a round about way my question is - Would feather edge board be too rough to paint a nice colour or will I have to get my own clapboards machined up at my local timber yard?

Attachments

• Zoom117.jpg
    Zoom117.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 2,016
  • phpwzBQs3AM.jpg
    phpwzBQs3AM.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,995
Feather board should be fine to paint depending on the paint used, if you use a product like cupinol garden shades it's basically an opaque stain/preservative which sinks into the timber rather than creating a skin on the surface so would work fine on feather edge board.
Lovely range of heritage colours too.

Hi there!

You should be able to get planed ex 7" feather edge with the planed face being the external face and lower edge. More often than not this is pressure treated with the yellow-ish version of Tanalith, but paints up perfectly. Obviously the sawn edge on the interior wont be a problem as you are sarking with OSB so it wont be visible. The only problem with this is the quality of the timber is average, so expect a bit of wastage.

Alternatively, use a tilt fillet at the base and standard PAR 6x1"...seems wasteful but the price is comparable and the off-cuts are actually useful as opposed to copious feather edge bits that are useless!

Hope this helps!

Pete

Thanks chaps, very helpful as usual.

A quick google search using the correct terminology and now i've found some suitable boards. SWMBO has also chosen cuprinol 'coastal mist' for the colour. Now i've just got to wait for the weather to sort itself out........

Here's an update on the shed thread for anyone who's interested......

I got the 4 x 2 framing finished.....

photo.JPG

....and clad with 12mm OSB, then clad that with the 6" feather edge boards which I pre-painted with one coat of 'Coastal Mist' (I'll paint another coat later)....

photo1.JPG
photo3.JPG

...then I wrapped it up in tarpaulins while it rained continuously for 2 months (!) until this weekend when I started on the roof...

photo6.JPG
photo7.JPG

The roof is black label cedar shingles which take an absolute AGE to nail on. So far I have about 5 or 6 hours invested in them plus several hours drinking OJ and lemonade and eating icecream whilst admiring my handywork. They look really nice when you start to get a few rows going though. I'm hoping to get the shingles finished next weekend if the weather holds out and then there's just some corner trims and a door to do before a bit of lanscaping around it.

I'm pretty pleased with it and quite proud of myself overall!

The only thing I would change is to have slightly bigger windows but they were an ebay bargain and beggars can't be choosers....

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 1,567
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 1,610
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 1,586
  • photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,592
  • photo7.JPG
    photo7.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 1,567
Snap! :wink:

Looking nice. I used a cheap "end of line" window from Wickes. These sheds are built like bbsh's and will be there long after the adjoining house is gone.

Thanks Roger, I must confess I saw your build on another forum and saved it in my favourites for reference. I was also impressed by your bi-fold doors but I won't be takling a project like that any time soon!

These sheds certainly are built to last and I can sympathise with you lifting the gable ends, they are chuffing heavy!

You will notice that I failed to line the top of my windows up with the top of the door as you have. I kicked myself when I realised but I'll try to do something with the trim to make it look like I meant to do it.....

Sagly":3g42fhq8 said:
Thanks Roger, I must confess I saw your build on another forum and saved it in my favourites for reference. I was also impressed by your bi-fold doors but I won't be takling a project like that any time soon!

These sheds certainly are built to last and I can sympathise with you lifting the gable ends, they are chuffing heavy!

You will notice that I failed to line the top of my windows up with the top of the door as you have. I kicked myself when I realised but I'll try to do something with the trim to make it look like I meant to do it.....

I really don't think that it matters that the top of the windows don't line up with the door. They line up with each other - which does matter - but as they are small I think that the lower position suits them better. Often in houses with small windows they are set lower than the door so that little people can see out!

I thought about a 2nd window in my shed as well, but as it would have no outlook and I wanted the wall space I left it out and put the louvred vent in instead. Quickly found that the birds loved using it to come and go the shed and poo on everything so had to tack some net curtain material over the inside of it.

Back