Another sharpening jig and other odd tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Just for fun, do ya know what it is for ? 😁
IMG_20201005_000519.jpg

Cheers Andy

Ha ha. That was a pure guess because it was the only thing that I could think of that was small and needed an accurate bevel.

Where do you get these things, you come up with things I hadn't even considered existed!

I was going for chopsticks for the anally retentive. Although now I think about it you don’t sharpen chopsticks, doh.

F.

Ha ha. That was a pure guess because it was the only thing that I could think of that was small and needed an accurate bevel.

Where do you get these things, you come up with things I hadn't even considered existed!

It's what I do for the love of educating the masses(y):cool:
Here's 2 of something else? Seldom seen and less often identified correctly.
Oops I've cut the handle from the pic on the left pair :mad::mad:
Andy
13123211_605560696275104_3554191675056529112_o.jpg

Last edited:
Was once a thriving industry and I have personally met the last guy from Northamptonshire to be apprenticed in this trade.
To be fair the bolt holes should be utilised to hold at 90° a distance gauge.
Cheers Andy

I think I know the answer. But so as to not spoil the fun, I'll try using the new "spoiler" feature to conceal my answer until you click on it.

I think they are broom shears, used by a "broom squire" to trim the bristles on a besom.

Thinking about it... If my answer is right, I think I only know it from talking to Andy when he's "educating the masses." :)

So keep up the good work!

Are theu thatchers shears? Maybe not the one in the middle. Was more thinking the 90 degree to the left.

Hey folks, thanks for having a go.
Andyt is there as they are brush shears.
Dare say they would make short work of besom brooms but were more generally used on brushes with drilled stocks into which the bristles had been bonded, originally with bitumen.
To dress them to length the stock is offered up to an angled depth plate bolted to the shears.
The smaller pair are hand held, although judging by the weight, not lifted off the bench surface.
The bigger pair with (photocropped) long wooden handle and square stake are designed to mount in a cast shoe fixed to the bench.
Was hoping to add a delightful French pair (with heart shape at pivot when closed) to the collection from last week's Stanley's auction but failed.... probably best as need to be downsizing more instead of upsizing:whistle:;)
Cheers Andy

Back