Another Sellers MkII bench build & new workshop! Project #2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, do you even have your vice yet?

If it weren't for my frequent tea-making breaks, and interruptions by some woman who lives in the house, claims to be married to me and keeps telling me dinner is ready, I might have progressed further my own self. You don't have one of these women, do you?

Nah, my biggest problem is working late and living in a quiet rural area with neighbours' kids who go to bed at 7. Even the noise of sawing is too much, so chopping out whacking great mortices is definitely verboten.

But that said, I think the next parts will go quite quickly and you'll be all assembled before you know it!!

Tasky":2ym8almn said:
Hmm, do you even have your vice yet?

If it weren't for my frequent tea-making breaks, and interruptions by some woman who lives in the house, claims to be married to me and keeps telling me dinner is ready, I might have progressed further my own self. You don't have one of these women, do you?

Nah, my biggest problem is working late and living in a quiet rural area with neighbours' kids who go to bed at 7. Even the noise of sawing is too much, so chopping out whacking great mortices is definitely verboten.

But that said, I think the next parts will go quite quickly and you'll be all assembled before you know it!!

I actually have 2 of the old style Record 52 1/2s sitting on my office floor. One in slightly better condition than the other but both work. I did realise yesterday of course that I had neglected my own mental plan to lower the rail on one set of legs to take the screws so that I could use one of the vie as a tail vice. That's what I get for making it a mental plan and not an actual plan. Never mind.

My other half does indeed reside at my domicile however its usually more our miniature that takes up most of my time. She's only 7.5 months old and started crawling yesterday. Time to panic. Apart from her I'm also trying to keep the jobs around the house done. Inane stuff like cleaning the patio, planning for a new path, fixing everything all the time, adding some flashing to the roof to fix a leak in really hard rain, etc. Life does like to take a dump on things you want to do and force you to do the things you need to do!

Alas, I did not quite manage to get my final rail complete yesterday. By the time I got around to it it was probably half an hour too late, and so I only managed to get it re planed out of twist, re marked up, cut and then 3 of the 4 tenon cheeks sorted. So one more to do, then fettling to make it fit as I do leave them a bit fat on purpose. I have to say I REALLY do prefer having 2 sides to register my router on. Even with a wider sole its just not the same when you've only got one surface.

I can't real make much noise past about 6 as that's baby bedtime and my lovely warm dry in-house workshop is next door to her room for the time being.

To Do
Finish final rail cheek and fettle to fit.
Roundover ends of 2 tenons
Glue Up legs
Cut aprons to length
Chop 4 rebates for legs
Fit legs
Cut worktop to length
Plane wellboard
Cut wellboard to length
Plough groove in worktop/apron
Cut tongue in wellboard
Fit it all together
Fit vice
Finish.

Not much to do lol

DBT85":1k9d1752 said:
I did realise yesterday of course that I had neglected my own mental plan to lower the rail on one set of legs to take the screws so that I could use one of the vie as a tail vice.
Aww, son of a...... !!!!!!!!! #-o
Guess what - You're not the only one!
I was only planning on a small 6" end vice, so I may get away with it if the rods are 12" or less.

Are you planning to finish it before or after you cut the vice hole?

Tasky":hmf42w4p said:
DBT85":hmf42w4p said:
I did realise yesterday of course that I had neglected my own mental plan to lower the rail on one set of legs to take the screws so that I could use one of the vie as a tail vice.
Aww, son of a...... !!!!!!!!! #-o
Guess what - You're not the only one!
I was only planning on a small 6" end vice, so I may get away with it if the rods are 12" or less.

Are you planning to finish it before or after you cut the vice hole?

Haha nice to know I'm not the only one.

No idea on the finishing yet. I figure I've got a year or so before I get there. #-o #-o

One option you'd have is to just move that set of legs inboard a bit to take the screws. I can;t relaly do that with the 52 1/2 as it opens to 13". The legs would be in the middle of the bench lol.

DBT85":2mj36jnv said:
One option you'd have is to just move that set of legs inboard a bit to take the screws.
Nope - I've cut the recesses in one apron already. Its destiny is set, now... :lol:

Tasky":2jc8qbbp said:
DBT85":2jc8qbbp said:
One option you'd have is to just move that set of legs inboard a bit to take the screws.
Nope - I've cut the recesses in one apron already. Its destiny is set, now... :lol:
Oh blimey I'm so slow I've been overtaken on my 2 weeks off work lol.

Other options for that apron, you could cut a much thicker wedge and just make your recess wider to shift the leg back. Or cut a new recess depending on how far back you would need to move it.

Nah, I'm pretty settled on leg locations. It's a big bench, so would look weird if I did that.
I was only gonna chuck something like a No 50 vice on the end and retro-dog it, to give me options.

Bm101":1yaicyz4 said:
https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/woodworking-bench-vices/
:-"
I know.... I still want one, though. More useful than an empty space that I might occasionally use to saw from.

Bm101":3jh8aaes said:
https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/woodworking-bench-vices/

:-"
If we're making a list of things prominent online woodworkers say you do and don't need we'll be here all day lol.

I was going to add it simply as I had it.

Just throwing ideas lads not recommendations. :wink:
I read his blog because I like his style of writing and it mysteriously gets emailed to me.
I also have an old 52 to add to the everlasting bench build as an end vice. The face one is a leg type. It's all pretty much cut up and done apart from the leg mortices into the tops underside, fitting and flattening the top. It's heavy enough that I can plane on it no worries on the lidl sawhorses. Only been nearly three years lol. :oops: I keep finding other stuff to do... :D
My personal thing is I can't see for the life of me why a right hander is nearly always recommended to put a vice on the left. For the front vice this makes sense but for an end vice I can't see it.
I cut the rebate for it in the left but it's going on the right side of the end (when I get round to it). I have enough space not to have the bench against a wall. When I saw I like to cut to the right of the vice not the left so the vice will go as far to the right as flush (with the back ) as possible. Maybe I'm just a weirdo. :|

Enjoying the build btw. :wink:

Bm101":1h1i3isq said:
Just throwing ideas lads not recommendations. :wink:
I read his blog because I like his style of writing and it mysteriously gets emailed to me.
I also have an old 52 to add to the everlasting bench build as an end vice. The face one is a leg type. It's all pretty much cut up and done apart from the leg mortices into the tops underside, fitting and flattening the top. It's heavy enough that I can plane on it no worries on the lidl sawhorses. Only been nearly three years lol. :oops: I keep finding other stuff to do... :D
My personal thing is I can't see for the life of me why a right hander is nearly always recommended to put a vice on the left. For the front vice this makes sense but for an end vice I can't see it.
I cut the rebate for it in the left but it's going on the right side of the end (when I get round to it). I have enough space not to have the bench against a wall. When I saw I like to cut to the right of the vice not the left so the vice will go as far to the right as flush (with the back ) as possible. Maybe I'm just a weirdo. :|

Enjoying the build btw. :wink:

Haha, so I'm not taking as long as I could it seems!

Bm101":1muw5u7o said:
If it's on the right of the end and you're doing some long work, you're limited by how far along the bench you can reach. With it on the left of the end, you have the full bench length running down your right side... if that makes sense?

Tasky":1vm33fo1 said:
Bm101":1vm33fo1 said:
If it's on the right of the end and you're doing some long work, you're limited by how far along the bench you can reach. With it on the left of the end, you have the full bench length running down your right side... if that makes sense?

If you are cutting long pieces, you want to be able support the waste length in your free hand. For a right hander that means cutting to the left of the vice with the waste in your left hand?

Brandlin":cqa39if2 said:
If you are cutting long pieces, you want to be able support the waste length in your free hand. For a right hander that means cutting to the left of the vice with the waste in your left hand?
Which you can do with the face vice anyway, right?
I was thinking more about edge planing, perhaps on a long shooting board or something, held in the tail vice.

it means you are pushing in to the vice rather than away from it, so the force is against the contact of the lead screw not away from it.

novocaine":240ryoml said:
it means you are pushing in to the vice rather than away from it, so the force is against the contact of the lead screw not away from it.
Ahhhhhh. Thanks Novocaine. What if you just use Japanese Saws? Does it still count? :D
Also thanks for the other replies but I can't think (in my limited way) of a way I can't get round work holding. planing etc using dogholes, holdfasts, a stop or a bit of scrap and a clamp without using an end vice. I also have one of them (slightly rusty) Veritas wonderdogs I bought second hand from A Nice Chap On Here. I have a little notion I might tap two small bits of bar into the top plane of it which will cover pulling as well as pushing.
I'm asking questions not pretending I know what I'm doing. One advantage of taking so long to build the bench is that I have found ways that suit my way of working in between times. They aren't necessarily what I thought I'd need when I started.
Cheers now.
Chris

My mission today is to at least finish my rail, assemble my other leg and then cut the aprons to length. If I can also chop a couple of the recesses I'll be a happy bunny.

Also have football and F1 to watch, dinner to cook and a child to look after lol

DBT85":20aoc7fd said:
My mission today is to at least finish my rail, assemble my other leg and then cut the aprons to length. If I can also chop a couple of the recesses I'll be a happy bunny.

Also have football and F1 to watch, dinner to cook and a child to look after lol

and don't forget golf as well :D

Success!

Got my last tenon complete and fettled to size. My legs are more more or less done, at least enough to more on. Still not glued up.
PSX20180407172130.jpg

Then cut my aprons to length. I think my saw has a very wide set on it so it's a bit of a pain. Will look forward to correcting that when I get time.

Then I got my first wedge cut from an old bed slat and marked up for the recess. A few pencil lines to help me see my knife marks and remind me which way to put the wedge lol! It looks drunk in the photo but one side of the marks are indeed square to the edge.
PSX20180407172305.jpg

thetyreman":3oqo8cgo said:
and don't forget golf as well :D
Oh please can I? Lol

Back