Another replacement kitchen worktop question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know,it's not really woodwork, but somebody might have an opinion to venture-
Typical problem, one wants to replace an existing worktop. The original worktop was fitted when the house was built, after it was installed the wall was tiled on three sides. Easy enough to cut the worktop to remove it. Trouble is, new one can't be installed without removing the tiles. Tiles can't be removed because they are applied to plasterboard and the board itself will break (ask me how I know this) before the tiles will let go.
Solution, cut the worktop shorter so that it can be put in place, and fit some kind of upstand to the back and sides to hide the gap, and stop spillages getting to the chipboard substrate.
Problem with that solution, can't find any upstand for sale. Used to be common, but isn't now. Anybody know of any? Or a different/better solution?
Thanks in anticipation
John

Upstand/backsplash can be bought (or rather ordered) from most kitchen worktop suppliers as far as I'm aware. Certainly the likes of B&Q and MFI sell it. If you have no luck there, there are still such things as local independent kitchen suppliers who would be able to make something up for you.
In your situation, I would look at how feasible it is to get the new worktop in under the tiles. Presumably it can be slid to the rear wall under the tiles, but there are problems left and/or right? How about cutting it just right, so that you can slide it against the rear wall and then use sealanrt left and right beneath the tiles?

Other wise - new tiles as well? Must be time they need replacing!!
BTW - how do you know the plasterboard will break :?: :D :D

Back