Another practice piece...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had this old turned piece of mahogany knocking around in the garden for years. It's been left outside, exposed to all weathers and treated with the utmost disrespect!

So today I thought I'd see what was inside it...

Now this has a lot of little flaws, but looks a bit better than the original it came from I guess. I agonised over the shape for ages and I'm still not totally comfortable with it. I had real problems getting a smooth finish on the flat lip of the bowl because I stupidly didn't finish it completely before jamming the lid on to shape and finish the top. Consequently, the lid doesn't fit as snugly as I'd like after I'd shaved a bit off the lip in an attempt to smooth it.

The knob and the pedestal aren't quite right either :? - nice piece of wood though...
Final size is 9cm diameter, 11cm high.

Ah what a shame about the base rim ! the rest is finished lovely !

I'd jam it, clean that base rim, theres a few bumps on the inside that would scrape out - and get it in the comp !!!!

Hows the base ?

You've made a very nice job of making an old bit of timber live on :D
Hard to believe the difference in colour between the starting and finished pieces - now really has a lovely warmth to it.Like the shape and detail of the inside of the lid;can see what you mean about the pedestal - just seems a little wide,but hey,it's still a nice piece!

Andrew

Thanks for all the great feedback! Much encouraged - liking it more now myself !

Loz - the base is good, so I'll probably try jamming it and cleaning up the rim. Not sure how I'd do the interior now tho :-k I don't have a chuck big enough to hold the diameter of the base.

Back