Another Ply thread - prompted by Waka's router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I was in Travis Perkins today in the bustling metropolis that is Hereford.

They had drawn a blank on sourcing any B grade Birch Ply but I still wanted to check what other stocks of ply as well as pick up some other stuff.

Having seen Waka's photos of his router table built with Far Eastern Ply, i thought i'd have a look at the quality of this in their sheds. Their WBP is graded B/BB. The BB side was as clean as the B - in fact no dutchmen or blemishes at all on the top 6 or 7 in the pallet. It is also only £18 or so plus vat. I don't know whether this is a good price to me because I have an account or whether that's about right but it is certainly one I'm happy to pay. :shock:

If WBP is void free, with unpatched clean outer surfaces and obviously by definition waterproof and about half the price of Birch Ply. I admit that it is obviously a lot darker than Birch ply but is there a reason that is eluding me as to why this doesn't get used for kitchen cabinets instead especially if they are going to be painted. :?

Like all things, if something appears to good to be true then it probably is, so I am setting myself up to be disappointed. :D :wink:

Cheers

Tim

The FE WBP tends to only be 5 or 7 ply depending on the overall thickness with the inner plys being about 3mm thick and of a less dense wood than birchply which is birch all the way through with all the layers being 1mm or less.

The timber used in the WBP also plecks up a lot more, bit like trying to paint meranti :( so therefore requires a lot more rubbing down.

Jason

Back