Another Paul Sellers Workbench... With A Twist

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Barto":3lsidhl3 said:
Incidentally, would a 12mm bit be suitabe for drilling pilot holes for an M16 bolt? Or should I go larger...?

yes, I used 12mm, measure the inner thread of your coach screws to make sure, and use that as the reference.

El Barto":2jgbe2qn said:
Incidentally, what is a good method for covering up/filling in gaps left by shoddy work? Epoxy and sawdust? How does it work?
Usually it depends on the gap and/or the timber.

I have filled gaps with veneer slips in half-blind dovetails, where the tails were a fraction too short. Once the veneer slips are tapped home and the joint cleaned up it's near nigh impossible to tell. If it's just one tail, lengthen all the other sockets and fill them all, to even up the joint line.

I have also filled errant rip cuts in dovetails with small wedges, good after clean-up if the job is to be painted .
If you can't use another piece of timber to re-cut the part, remove the offending pin or tail and let in a scrap piece and cut the tail again.

Best bet is obvious... Don't leave any gaps! :mrgreen: (hammer)
Easy to say of course!

John

Raw linseed oil, cut with a little kerosene or white spirit.
That's all I ever used.

Only snag is, nothing is proof against saw-cuts, chisel marks, and careless drilling. That's why my benchtop only lasted 40 years! O:)

(hammer)

John

Hello,

Another update this evening. I've been to and from Devon and Hampshire the past couple of weeks which has made working on the bench (and getting anything else done) difficult but I'm pleased to say I got the bench finished tonight. Very happy. The vice is installed, the bench has been sanded and linseed oil has been applied. The jaws for the vice need to be planed level with the bench top but I'm still counting it as done. Yippee.

Some pics:

4wNZeze.jpg

Shiny new vice installed.

RLbpvn0.jpg

Even with the vice bolted tight underneath and screws going through it into the top, I still couldn't get it perfectly flush which has annoyed me slightly. As you can see, there's a gap. A small one, but a gap nonetheless. Is this passable?

ln28Jwj.jpg

When testing out the vice's quick release I discovered that I hadn't given the lil bit that pokes out/gets levered down (what's the correct name for it?) enough clearance. With the vice installed this proved tricky but luckily the saw on a Swiss Army Knife is the perfect size for getting into that awkward space and cutting around it. I then pared it down somewhat with a chisel and voila, quick release works. Thanks Swiss Army Knife.

So not a huge update but a significant one! Can't wait to put it to work. But first, how many coats of linseed oil is advisable, and how long should I wait between each coat?

Thanks for reading.

=D> =D> =D> Good on ya Bart! Enjoyed the read fella. =D> =D> =D>
Some more pics in use now!

custard":h8mb9xkp said:
El Barto":h8mb9xkp said:
Is this passable?

Passable? It's commendable! Very well done.

=D>

Thanks Custard :D

It occurred to me to make a post about things I've learnt and what I'd do differently: in terms of what I've learnt - loads. This bench is certainly a big undertaking, especially for a beginner. I expected it to be challenging and time consuming but it still surprised me. The book and videos were an invaluable reference point that I constantly returned to, but they didn't prepare me for the unique challenges presented by each stage of the build. But that's a good thing I think as it forces you to learn and adapt as you're going. I could ramble on like this for hours so will stop here... for now.

As for what I'd do differently, it's a tricky question because everything I did got me to this stage, whether it was right or wrong and whether mistakes were made. Obviously I'd be better informed to do it all again and I'm sure the outcome would be a slightly more well made bench, but I'm happy with the one I ended up with. All those little mistakes and errors are part of the process and had to be made, one way or another.

One thing I'd definitely do differently is to take more time and think more carefully. I don't think I rushed, but no matter how well thought out everything was and how careful I thought I was, there was always room to take a bit more time and be a bit more careful.

(hammer)

well done El Barto! you'll soon realise how you can't live without it. I enjoyed watching it progress and it really hasn't taken you long, be interested to know if you make any changes along the way and how you get along with it.

good job! =D>

thetyreman":3gm3kain said:
well done El Barto! you'll soon realise how you can't live without it. I enjoyed watching it progress and it really hasn't taken you long, be interested to know if you make any changes along the way and how you get along with it.

good job! =D>

Thank you! Yes I'm itching to start using it although I'm barely home at the moment which is certainly killing some of my momentum.

How are you getting on with yours?

And thank you Bm101!

El Barto":27eigcwm said:
thetyreman":27eigcwm said:

good job! =D>

Thank you! Yes I'm itching to start using it although I'm barely home at the moment which is certainly killing some of my momentum.

And thank you Bm101!

I love it, use it near enough every day, so it's getting a good beating, it makes me want to build more.

thetyreman":4sjpgorj said:
El Barto":4sjpgorj said:
thetyreman":4sjpgorj said:

good job! =D>

And thank you Bm101!

I love it, use it near enough every day, so it's getting a good beating, it makes me want to build more.

Looking forward to seeing what else you make!

Not so much an update today but I'm wondering if there's any particular way to lay out holes for bench dogs and hold fasts?

Edit: stupid autocorrect :evil:

phil.p":2ttewjgx said:
Lay out your hopes as you wish. :D Seriously - think about anything else you may want to bolt down. I have a drill stand that bolts down where it can swing out over the vice and holes that suit my morticer.
(your edit beat me :D )

Thanks Phil. I guess I will have at it!

Back