Another One.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke66

Established Member
Reaction score
I heard the buzz of a chainsaw yesterday, so being a Nosey Parker, I had a little wander over to the source of the racket to see if there were any likely chunks suitable for turning. It turned out that another....

IMG_3359.jpg

...Walnut tree (the whole thing!) was in the process of being reduced to firewood, not 50m from my back door. Not much was good for turning as there appeared to be little heartwood but I bet the crotch figure where that first branch is would have been amazing - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_3359.jpg
    IMG_3359.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 165
I have an eye on a neighbour's walnut tree - the trunk is perhaps 8 feet across at chest height. I keep telling him it interferes with my view, but he refuses to cut it down :-(

Trainee neophyte":380tfg40 said:
I have an eye on a neighbour's walnut tree - the trunk is perhaps 8 feet across at chest height. I keep telling him it interferes with my view, but he refuses to cut it down :-(
It's worth finding someone who's got a portable mill so if it ever does come down, you ought to be able to move fairly smartly to get it slabbed up. The first I literally heard of this one coming down was the sound of the buzz saw - Rob

woodbloke66":2q8e2qnz said:
Trainee neophyte":2q8e2qnz said:
It's worth finding someone who's got a portable mill so if it ever does come down, you ought to be able to move fairly smartly to get it slabbed up. The first I literally heard of this one coming down was the sound of the buzz saw - Rob

No such thing round here as a portable mill - on my list of things to do is to make an Alaskan mill attachment for the chainsaw. I need it for my trees, never mind anyone else's.

I worry that I may cut down trees, rather than pick the fruit ...it's somewhat easier.

Someone told me once there were ‘male’ and ‘female’ walnut trees and only one or the other was the lovely colour we all look for, the other being plain pale timber.

Not sure if this is true .........?

Simon

Back