Another one for the collection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm not really a collector of shavings, but if I was I think this'd be the Stanley #1 of the collection I don't have... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":34gvnbwi said:
Okay, so I'm not really a collector of shavings, but if I was I think this'd be the Stanley #1 of the collection I don't have... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

I like this .pic. of the production. I guess we will see some matches from the "collectors" on the forum.

Brilliant! Loved both of those. Still clear straight grained pine is easy-peasy..... :wink:
Oh, and what that in inches?
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":3qz2zvc3 said:
Still clear straight grained pine is easy-peasy..... :wink:
The gen is Port Orford Cedar is favoured apparently. Full story here. I think I might favour air-dried, straight-grained sycamore myself. Good chance of some excellent shavings, but a bit more of a challenge than a softwood. Hmm, what we need is a forum plane competition... Hey Philly, you could have about a dozen entrants. :p :lol:

Cheers, Alf

That's simply amazing, quite depressing actually. I take part in planing competitions and the best I've done so far is 1/10000". I'm convinced that the body of the plane matters little, almost everything is in the blade and sharpening. That's why I have a wooden plane on the drawing board that'll hold a really good Japanese blade. I'm pretty convinced (without really knowing for sure) that Japanese blades can be sharpened to a considerably greater degree than any Western blades.
Frank

Well both pictures have gone :( I think we have pulled too much bandwidth on them :cry:

So what were you all looking at?

Frank I think you have it cached locally, I get
Yahoo":yvwgto7r said:
Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.

Dave, I just looked for the first time and it worked for me.

Impressive, but - as Frank said - ever so slightly depressing!

I can see them now, :D I see what you mean. :roll:

I looked at the rest of the pictures, is that chap wearing safety socks while holding the plane with his feet to adjust the blade bed? :wink:

Beautiful planing :)

I have played around planing Sycamore which is beautiful to plane and get pretty impressive shavings but nothing like those :shock:

Phil, 0.01mm is 0.39 thousandths of an inch

Tony is it that thick? I feel much better now. Here's one about the same thickness. It looks quite fragile but it actually held together quite well. The wood is hard maple.
Frank
Cnv0170-4.5-thinshaving.jpg

<I will not rush down to the workshop with camera and digital calipers, I will not rush down to the workshop with camera and digital calipers, I will not rush down to the workshop with camera and digital calipers, I will not rush down to the workshop with camera and digital calipers...> :roll:

C'mon Alf,
Go ahead and do it with an assortment of planes and see if we can guess which shavings were made with which plane.
Looking forward to making a fool of myself again,
Frank

Alf":2h75hd4j said:
<I will not rush down to the workshop with camera and digital calipers, I will not rush down to the workshop with camera and digital calipers, I will not rush down to the workshop with camera and digital calipers, I will not rush down to the workshop with camera and digital calipers...> :roll:

OK, OK, we get the picture (you don't want to get in the Gloat war do you) Want to borrow a good Micrometer instead :?:

Latest posts

Back