Another one for Jonzjob

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not entirely sure of the date but in 1943/1944 (I think '44) my father smuggled me into RAF Mildenhall (we walked through a hole in the perimeter which was used as a short cut by personnel to save a long detour through the main gate :shock:) and I was given a tour of a Stirling. The aircraft he had originally arranged for me to see was in the dispersal area with engines running and crew on board ready for a test flight.

As I remember it, I was about eight at the time, he spoke to a Sergeant Armourer who was giving some A/cs a talk. The Sergeant said to him to take me on board as the Skipper wouldn't mind but my father declined (probably sensibly) so I saw another aircraft.

The thing that stuck in my mind was sitting in the tail gunner's turret. It seemed so isolated from the rest of the aircraft and, even at my young age, very vulnerable.

The other aircraft which were on the base at the time were American B17 Flying Fortresses as the base was combined RAF/USAAF.

Back