Another Mystery Tool Adze ? This time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chisteve

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I picked this up over the weekend it needs a new handle

Any ideas 3A473C5B-98F0-4A3B-BAB6-D03B96372A41.jpegBB8F39DA-FC1C-4E49-B48A-41B46ED75871.jpegABDD74C4-6942-4368-BDA9-C9B932FB9CF5.jpeg456672DC-4C69-4EA3-BDB3-56E2550C7C07.jpeg

Interesting - never seen such.
Does look like it must be an adze - the thin blade and flat back suggest for final flattening - almost to a smooth plane surface - you'll have to handle, sharpen and try it out.

Certainly looks like an adze, although the few I have owned, had a curved back.
When you used these to "dress " timber, you were left with small characteristic marks - you could always see they were adze cut.
I think Dannyr might be right - this could be for fine final dressing.
A beautiful tool that needs a razor sharp edge !
When I was first introduced to using an adze ( rebuilding wooden bridges in Western New South Wales ( Australia ) , I had to put both feet inside a small metal drum - less painful than cutting tendons ! The timber used for bridge building here are harder than almost anything seen in UK
That's a nice piece of gear - the handle needs to be the right shape.
By the way, it takes a few years to learn the craft of using an adze to it's full potential - so I am sure it will give you challenges and rewards

Latest posts

Back