Another MDF unit (Fitted)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been making another unit in MDF....as usual. :roll: This one is a vanity unit.
I had just taken the pieces out of the spray booth so excuse the unit in pieces.
This is the main carcass. There is an adjustable shelf to go inside and two small drawers.
DSCN2962.jpg

These are the drawers that will have full extension runners.
DSCN2967.jpg

Here are the doors and the drawer fronts ready to fit.
DSCN2963.jpg

mailee":1fjts9q6 said:
What would you have used Bob? The last one we had was made of chipboard.

I'm sure it wasn't painted chipboard though..... I'm not against MR MDF in a bathroom just not as a top, as water will sit on it.

I would always recommend a granite or if budget a laminate worktop.

In Australia you can get MR MDF with a dull malemine coating designed to be spray painted. The Malemine gives you extra water proofing and the surface takes a spray finish really well.

I have never used it as a bench top though, but I would say if you can source it, its a great option.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,055
I use Morrells 2 pac paint Kev. I apply two coats of primer and then two top coats. I rub down the primer with 320 grit and then nib and polish the final finish.
I got the drawers fitted today along with the doors. Almost ready for fitting now.
DSCN2968.jpg

DSCN2969.jpg

DSCN2971.jpg
:D

I finally got this unit fitted...well almost as when i took one of the doors out of the van it had a couple of chips in it! :cry:
Hence the missing door in the photos.
DSCN2985.jpg

DSCN2986.jpg

The unit went in well and was a pretty straight forward fit, shame about the door and I had everything wrapped in covers too. Oh well I guess accidents happen. :roll: There is more work to come from these customers so I shall get photos when the door is back on.

Nice unit mailee.

When you say you polish the Morrells 2 pac do you use a polishing mop and compound, just like you would when polishing gelcoated surfaces?

mailee":w6dcq4bq said:
What would you have used Bob? The last one we had was made of chipboard.
I used 18mm marine ply when I did my bathroom. All fitted stuff such as the raised floor for the corner shower, free standing floor to ceiling teak veneered bathroom unit and teak veneered washstand were all made from about 1.5 sheets - Rob

mailee":1ruckq8n said:
Yes Cadders, i use a polishing machine fitted with a lambswool mop and a medium grade rubbing compound. :wink:

Thanks for the reply, finally something where I work will be useful :mrgreen:

I did consider making up a gelcoat, spraying it on and flatting back to get the gloss finish I wanted, sounds like a money spent on the Morrells acid cat may well be a better idea.

Do you have any Experiance with the water based Morrells finishes?

Back