another long time lurker joins up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanternerouge

Reaction score
finally finished my first project - a jewelry box for my daughter's christmas present :)

I'd never imagined that dressmaking scissors would form such a vital part of the toolkit ;-)

jb1.jpg

jb2.jpg

jb6.jpg

I guess I'll be the first to say welcome, and 'great debut' =D>

But you can't leave it like that (your post, that is) - we need details, tools used, wood selection, atmospheric conditions, etc :)

The wood is spectacular, as is the veneered lid. And from what I can see, you did a great job with the dressmaking scissors!

Hi lanternerouge,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Very nice looking box, as already said, what woods did you use, tools and finishing technique?

So just what type of dressmaking scissors did you have to use and did you have an adult to help you? :roll: :wink:

well i'm just gonna throw in the towel!

Great first project there, well done... and welcome!

thanks Pete.

here goes then....

The timber came as part of a pallet of off-cuts from SL Hardwoods. I think it is Australian She-Oak.

The sides are solid, and the lid and base veneered 4mm ply. I cut the veneer myself on a bandsaw from the she-oak board.

The banding is home made too - a cross-cut she-oak and tulipwood sandwich. The groove for the banding was cut almost to size on the router table (woodpecker + incra LS) and fine-tuned with a scalpel. The banding was mitred with a disc sander & brought flush to the lid with a block-plane & cabinet scraper.

Finish is clear wax over 4 coats of danish oil.

The lining is bottle-green velvet "rescued" from my S.O.'s ball gown! (i did get permission first)

The box is a little 'heavier' than i would have liked, but the thickness of the sides was dictated by the brusso hinges. I found the "stop mechanism" on these made them an *rse to install.

I spent a couple of days with Andrew Crawford in October, and picked-up most of the techniques and a critical eye for precision ;-) from Andrew.

as for atmospheric conditions - the air was often very blue ;-)

Welcome and very nice box =D>

Could you tell me what the quality of timber is like on the SL pallets of off cuts. I have been tempted by one before but wondered if you simply get all the rubbish cut from longer boards? They also do sacks of offcuts - are these the same do you know?

I have a couple of Andrew Crawfords books, great inspiration, I should imagine a course with the man himself is excellent.

Cheers,

Steve.

thanks Steve,

difficult for me to judge the quality of the timber on the SL pallets as I haven't really got a reference point. but for what it's worth:

The boards are a mixture of PAR and sawn. most of the boards are 3-5 feet long and 4-5 inches wide - there are a couple of wider and thicker pieces on there too though!. There is quite a lot of oak and mahogany, a fair amount of she-oak and a little bit of american walnut. only 2 boards went straight onto the fire ! There are some T&G flooring offcuts which will be of limited use but the rest are all usable for something. I guess you take pot luck as to what they have off-cuts of at the time - i struck lucky with the she-oak as i suspect these boards alone would have cost more than the whole pallet at cubic ft rates. As i had planned to make smallish boxes in a variety of timbers it seemed an economical way to get started. At current run rates this pallet will last me 5 years ;-)

Hi there,and welcome :D

Thanks for the info - I have also wondered about the quality/variety of assorted offcuts - sounds like it may be worth spending some pennies on.

Andrew

lanternerouge":2tgn0paa said:
finally finished my first project - a jewelry box for my daughter's christmas present :)
Adopt me. [-o< :lol:

Welcome to the forum, beautiful box and nice Andrew Crawford gloat too. :D I had a SLH pallet a few years ago - still haven't finished it. Mind you, I didn't get anything as interesting as She-Oak on it, but if anyone ever needs 19mm square greenheart, I'm your woman. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Who's definitely giving up woodworking if the standard of projects on this forum doesn't take a nose-dive right now ](*,)

Alf":2b37344x said:
if anyone ever needs 19mm square greenheart, I'm your woman. :roll:

Is it long enough for fishing rods? :D

Welcome to the forum Lanternerouge. Great box!!

Scott":1apqjl19 said:
Alf":1apqjl19 said:
if anyone ever needs 19mm square greenheart, I'm your woman. :roll:

Is it long enough for fishing rods? :D
Nope. It's not long enough for anything. It might push me over the edge into pen-making, just to get rid of the stuff. :roll: :lol: Anyway, greenheart fishing rod? I though bamboo was the stuff?

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2jgner7c said:
Anyway, greenheart fishing rod? I though bamboo was the stuff?

Long time ago, before you were around Alf, in the '50s/'60s greenheart was commonly used for fishing rods, sometimes for the whole rod, but often for the tip section of a 2/3 piece rod, the rest comprising whole cane. The alternative, and much better quality, rods were made from split cane. Only one species of cane, tonkin cane, was suitable for splitting. Greenheart and split cane was used for coarse fishing rods but only the finest split cane was used for trout and salmon rods.

All since superceded by firstly solid glass fibre, then hollow glass fibre and finally carbon fibre.

So that's my bit of off-topic info. for today (but I was answering a question) :oops: :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Well there you go, I've learnt something. Dunno how much good it'll do me, but I've learnt it none the less... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Back