Another introduction from a new member

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accipiter

Established Member
Reaction score
Just joined yesterday and finding my way round - slowly - and following as requested to post an intro...

I'm now 70 and getting back to sorting out my workshop which became a dumping ground a few years ago after the death of my mother back in 2005 with trying to find places to store stuff; boxes etc., - so 16 years ago... hard to think it's that long ago!

Long time ago, when a youngster, I wanted to be a carpenter/cabinet maker - always had a love of wood and making stuff - but that didn't happen due to the "advice" given by a careers "officer" at the school who informed my parents I'd get a "better" job if I stayed on for 'O' levels etc. Sadly my working life turned out to be somewhat different with a variety of all sorts of work - mainly retail - but I even had a go at smallholding up on the Yorkshire moors and renovated an old dilapidated farm house... but that's a story in itself.

Cut away many years to a job back in 1987 after moving to the West country (Somerset) and working for a company called "Charlton's Timber" at their wood centre in Radstock. A job I thoroughly enjoyed, who wouldn't?, being surrounded by timbers of all types: English and imported hardwoods, turning blanks of all types, machinery, craft supplies and the "Open Days" for craftsmen and machine manufacturers etc. Five and a half years later I was made redundant (it was that bad period - not helped because a month previously my father had passed away) and it was another six years before finding full time employment as a spindle moulder operator at a local pine factory - until he went bust a few months later... but he'd already laid me off after I trained another guy up to do my job! After that I ended up in a creamery as a "Cream Process Operator" for 19 years until I retired back in January 2017. So what with one thing or another quite a varied life in work - and out of.

As mentioned, if some are still reading this... :), I'm finally slowly sorting out the workshop and can now actually see and touch the work bench and see the lathe (Tyme SL750 used for many turning projects for Falconry blocks - another passion I had; Falconry) and try out the Titan TPT125 thicknesser purchased a few months ago, sort out some of the wood stocks and get ready to make something. I got a cheap saw table (TITAN TTB763TAS 254MM ELECTRIC TABLE SAW 220-240V) last year from Screwfix which has been of use last year with constructing a Summer House for the wife.

Some photos (of photos as the originals aren't of digital origin) of previous projects dating back to between 1988 & 1991, attached, were a garden bench out of Iroko, a Yew & Ash chest for a work colleague and an Oak coffee table... A hopeful future project is a rocking chair for my daughter - and her hubby - who is expecting our first grandchild around November time...

Thanks for staying with me

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_153518_resized_20210713_033821242.jpg
    IMG_20210713_153518_resized_20210713_033821242.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210713_153541_resized_20210713_033821559.jpg
    IMG_20210713_153541_resized_20210713_033821559.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210713_153619_resized_20210713_033820924.jpg
    IMG_20210713_153619_resized_20210713_033820924.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210713_153712_resized_20210713_033821890.jpg
    IMG_20210713_153712_resized_20210713_033821890.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 25
Welcome, nice to have you, and thanks for the intro. We love people making stuff, and the more photos the better.

Hello,
Belated welcome, was recently up around your way at centreparcs! Enjoy the forum, lots of info available!!
Kev

Just joined yesterday and finding my way round - slowly - and following as requested to post an intro...

I'm now 70 and getting back to sorting out my workshop which became a dumping ground a few years ago after the death of my mother back in 2005 with trying to find places to store stuff; boxes etc., - so 16 years ago... hard to think it's that long ago!

Long time ago, when a youngster, I wanted to be a carpenter/cabinet maker - always had a love of wood and making stuff - but that didn't happen due to the "advice" given by a careers "officer" at the school who informed my parents I'd get a "better" job if I stayed on for 'O' levels etc. Sadly my working life turned out to be somewhat different with a variety of all sorts of work - mainly retail - but I even had a go at smallholding up on the Yorkshire moors and renovated an old dilapidated farm house... but that's a story in itself.

Cut away many years to a job back in 1987 after moving to the West country (Somerset) and working for a company called "Charlton's Timber" at their wood centre in Radstock. A job I thoroughly enjoyed, who wouldn't?, being surrounded by timbers of all types: English and imported hardwoods, turning blanks of all types, machinery, craft supplies and the "Open Days" for craftsmen and machine manufacturers etc. Five and a half years later I was made redundant (it was that bad period - not helped because a month previously my father had passed away) and it was another six years before finding full time employment as a spindle moulder operator at a local pine factory - until he went bust a few months later... but he'd already laid me off after I trained another guy up to do my job! After that I ended up in a creamery as a "Cream Process Operator" for 19 years until I retired back in January 2017. So what with one thing or another quite a varied life in work - and out of.

As mentioned, if some are still reading this... :), I'm finally slowly sorting out the workshop and can now actually see and touch the work bench and see the lathe (Tyme SL750 used for many turning projects for Falconry blocks - another passion I had; Falconry) and try out the Titan TPT125 thicknesser purchased a few months ago, sort out some of the wood stocks and get ready to make something. I got a cheap saw table (TITAN TTB763TAS 254MM ELECTRIC TABLE SAW 220-240V) last year from Screwfix which has been of use last year with constructing a Summer House for the wife.

Some photos (of photos as the originals aren't of digital origin) of previous projects dating back to between 1988 & 1991, attached, were a garden bench out of Iroko, a Yew & Ash chest for a work colleague and an Oak coffee table... A hopeful future project is a rocking chair for my daughter - and her hubby - who is expecting our first grandchild around November time...

Thanks for staying with me
Hello love the bench and the method of fixing it together.

Back