Another gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a day milling up some Oak for a gate build. Only a single but heavy duty jobbie.
DSCN2826.jpg

I got as far as cutting the mortices in the stiles.
DSCN2825.jpg

My new machines made lighter work of it. :D

I got cracking on with the gate this morning. I managed to get all the frame parts dry fitted. I left this top rail in the clamps as it will be curved.
DSCN2827.jpg

The frame fitted well so is just about ready for assembly.
DSCN2828.jpg

Then I got started on machining up the boards for the panels.
DSCN2829.jpg

I shall need a good clean up in the morning. :roll:

Going well Alan. What thickness are you finishing the timber for the panels ?
You had better have three shredded wheat the morning of the fit as I bet its going to weigh a bit :lol:

Thanks Alan. The panels will be 3/4" when finished. I don't have to worry about fitting them as the customer is doing that. I just have to deliver it. :D

Got on quite well today. I finished machining up all the boards for the panels and then got busy on the router table.
I used my tennon/slotting cutter for the T&G's and then a 45 degree cutter for the chamfer on each board.
DSCN2830.jpg

I then cut and machined the diagonal braces and then did a glue up.
DSCN2833.jpg

After cutting all the boards to length I did a dry fit.
DSCN2832.jpg

Tomorrow I shall fit the boards and the mouldings and round over all the edges. Not far off complete now. :D

Alan,

Beginners question... is it normal to fit the diagonal braces before the boards? If i had seen the finished thing and worked out how to do it, I would have thought it was the other way round.

Thanks
Mark

No Dean no finish the customer requested it o naturale. Yes mark the diagonal braces are jointed into the main frame and the boards are then put in on top of them. The gate has the rear facing upwards in the picture. That way the boards can be renewed in the future if necessary.

Thats looking very good Alan, did you enjoy working in some proper hardwood for a change? :lol: :lol:

Thanks Rog, Yes I did enjoy working with a good hardwood again. Only problem is all the machining required to make it useable, still thats the nature of the beast I suppose. Strangely I love working with Beech as it is such a crisp wood to use, not much grain though.

Very nice looking. How wide is it, and what kind of hinges are they going to use?

Also, maybe I'm missing something here, but how did you put the boards in after the glue up, and what holds them in place?

Kirk

I don't do external joinery, but one question
is it not the norm to run the t&G all the way to the bottom so it acts as a drip run off, surely having a bar under the t&g acts as a water trap?
Looks very good .... and as mentioned I know nowt about gates :lol:

mailee":3m0lkpdl said:
Thanks Rog, Yes I did enjoy working with a good hardwood again. Only problem is all the machining required to make it useable, still thats the nature of the beast I suppose. Strangely I love working with Beech as it is such a crisp wood to use, not much grain though.

Yes i must admit I don't tend to buy wane edged oak these days usually opting for square edged boards, whilst it costs a bit more you save so much time in preparation time. as you say beech is lovely to work but I do not like the bland appearance of it, I much prefer timbers with a busy grain albeit it can be a sod to finish at times.

Anyway got to go, got a dresser to deliver

Rog

Thanks guys. Kirk I have slotted the styles of the gate and the boards slip into these at each side and give enough room for movement. At the top and bottom of the panels they are pinned and then a moulding is held in with dabs of glue and pins (Onto the frame not the panels) This then allows the panels to move for expansion. Yes Bob you are correct normally the lower panels would reach the bottom. On my builds I use the bottom rail full for strength and drill small holes into the rebate at an angle to allow any water to drain away. Got to admit it seems to work for me as the gate this is replacing was built in softwood by me over 15 years ago! As for the width of the gate it is almost 3' wide and just a little over 6' high.

Latest posts

Back