Another Ebay Toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Recently got this off Ebay.
stanley50.jpg

It's a Stanley 50s, rosewood handles, complete and in good nick. Only came with the straight cutters set, looks like the beading cutters were an option. (so if anyone knows of a set, give us a PM)
Had a little play with it last night, it works well, although the noise was considerably less than my usual router :lol: :lol:
Whats that? How much? £18-not too bad I thought.
regards
Philly :D

Philly,

Hey, interesting one. You don't often see the 50S; at least, I don't. Not sure why, but I assume it made more financial sense to buy the complete thing, beading cutters etc and all, or the Record #044 instead. I can't seem to find any info on it either, which is odd 'cos I'm sure I've read about it before somewhere. Fabulous condition too. Hmm, bit of a c*ll*ct*r's item maybe... :p Oh, and as you're obviously well aware; you suck, dude. :p :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Getting all fidgety about combi planes again. Oh deary me... :roll:

Alf,
Thank you, Thank you!
Yeah, had'nt seen this one before, but it was in such good nick I had to have it.
Just need a 55 now. Oh, and a 45, etc, etc, etc :lol:
Cheers
Philly Collectable :D

Alf":qvf5lg71 said:
Philly":qvf5lg71 said:
Just need a 55 now.
You and me both. :( Forget the #45, the Record #405 is better btw. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hey, hey hey! What makes the #405 better? :lol:

Philly, that is a gorgeous #50. I can't believe that price! I can feel the suction from halfway across North America!

Are you actually going to use it? It is so minty, I couldn't bring myself to lower its condition by being the first to put it to work. Now, my ordinary old #50 doesn't get spared! If you do put it to work, it is a really nice plow plane that will put a smile on your face. I really can't say the same about the #55. I sold my #55 about a year ago and I haven't missed it.

Roger,
Who loves his #45's and needs a #46.

Cheers Roger,
It is nice to know I suck all the way round the world!! :lol:
I will be using it where applicable (and in the dead of night where the tailed beasties dare not play!). But I must confess-I am thinking of buying more Old Stanleys in their boxes and keeping them together in one place. No, not collecting them :roll: , just, you know, buying them, looking at em, collect-Oops, nearly caught myself out there. :lol:
best regards

Roger,

Well a slightly better depth of cut IIRC, ogee cutters on the later ones, it's British (Huzzah!) etc... :wink: And generally it's a bit cheaper here in Blighty than that 'Murrican device. :roll: :wink: BTW, 45's plural?! And I thought I had a problem... (and I do too. Anyone got a Howkins they don't want? :| )

Cheers, Alf

I've never heard of a Howkins before. Man it is butt-ugly! Is it as uncomfortable to hold as it looks??? :shock:

Hey, a good cowboy packs a pair of 45's :lol: . And I do NOT have a problem, I sold the other 9 8) . I was at an auction where I bought six of them (with one cutter each) for $20 each, how could I say no?

Roger Nixon":1xyuux7t said:
I've never heard of a Howkins before. Man it is butt-ugly! Is it as uncomfortable to hold as it looks??? :shock:
Dunno; according to its mention in The Handplane Book so few were made that the instructions were all handwritten. :roll: I think, was it Milbro(?) did a similar design of rear "handle" on their piece of junk, and that seemed pretty uncomfortable when I saw one a year of so ago. The Howkins does score highly in the gizmocity factor though. :D

Incidentally six #45s at auction simply doesn't add up to nine sold plus two in your gun belt, Roger. But I'm sure you can explain... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Sorry about the illogical post. I just meant to point out that acquiring a half dozen at one outing tends to swell the numbers quickly. The others were complete or nearly so including 3 in the box ones. I kept one of the complete ones in the original chestnut box and an incomplete one. SWMBO took the chestnut box from me and has it on display on one of her bookcases so the #45's are dwelling in a cruddy old plywood box until I can make more suitable arrangements.
BTW, you can sell #45's for parts and make double or triple the money you would selling them complete. I made enough money on #45's that SWMBO once booted me out of the house on a Saturday morning with orders to fetch a #45 she had spotted in the paper. :lol:

Roger,
Wow, ordered out of the house to buy more tools-you Yanks have got it tough! :roll:
Alf, is that a "Jack Howkins"? (pieces of eight :roll: ) Cheers for the links, had already been scouring the Net and checked out the Tool shop.
So, like, which part of the slope is this? This is bad, right? :wink:
Best Regards

Philly":2484wwd0 said:
So, like, which part of the slope is this?

Phillly, my oh my, you are so , like, totally lost man. I have become increasingly worried about your tool buying habits of late. I think it's time for some soul searching and honesty to get some direction in life. Come on, admit it, you have become a co**ec**r!

Two choices:- go into rehab or buy and sell in earnest and move on to the de**er stage.

Philly":38mzu6jc said:
So, like, which part of the slope is this? This is bad, right? :wink:
Philly the Woodworker, RIP.
Congratulations Mrs Philly, it's a bouncing baby Tool C*ll*ct*r! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I was going to ask "what kind of dope takes the cutters out of their box and dumps them in a pile in the main box while they take the pics?" :roll: But after a little thought I decided it could be the kind of dope that's trying, by ommission, to convey the idea that it has all the beading and tonguing cutters too methinks... Ooo, I'm such a cynic. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back