Another Ebay Toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveL
they are good fun I picked one up last year for a song complete with a few extra irons and a router plane thrown in for good measure :D :D They take a bit of getting used to but are worth it in the end :D

Bean

Dave,
Why should you think I would be interested in that? :shock:
Alright, I own up, I have already bid on it........ :lol: :lol:
TWFKAP :D

Well Alf did say the 405 was a nice one to have and that one looks minty just like your 50S. So they would be a good pair in a nice display case in your dealer room (exworkshop) :wink:

Philly":2eetieaz said:
So I take it the "S" stands for "straight cutters only"? as in no beading cutters?
Catching on slowly,
TWFKAP :D

Hi Philly,

I quote from a 1958 wholesale tools catalogue,
"Stanley Tools Combination Plane No. 50S (Schools Plane).
As the No. 50 Combination Plane, but furnished with only 8 Plough and Dado Cutters".
Could be that the "S" stands for School.
At 80/-, (£4.00), they were 30/-, (£1.50) cheaper than the No. 50 which cost 110/- or £5.50. Beading and tongueing cutters were available individually as required.

By the way, "/-" after a number means shillings, a pre-decimal denomination of British currency, for those of you who are too young to know and those of you who aren't but may be too old to remember.
Ah, the good old days. Remember when there were 12d in 1/- and 20/- in £1.00? No wonder we needed mental arithmetic drummed into us.

Mike. (Old Mike)

Mike,
Cheers for that-thats the "S" cleared up then! :D
So are those two the only planes you haven't got?
regards
Philly :D
(only asking to be polite, I'm not a Collector or anything.........)

Philly":148ubilw said:
Mike,

So are those two the only planes you haven't got?
regards
Philly :D
(only asking to be polite, I'm not a Collector or anything.........)

No Philly, but they're among the Stanleys that I'm unlikely to ever get since they are fetching around £1,000 & £2,000 respectively and that's for the most recent models. You can add another £1,000 to each for the earliest ones. Of course condition & completeness are important factors.

Glad to hear your not a Collector or anything........ you have to leave something on eBay for those that are, eh? :twisted:

Cheers..........Mike.[/img]

Mike,

Thanks for that; I couldn't find a blessed thing on them anywhere. Hmm, need more catalogues needed... What am I saying?! I'm not a c*ll*ct*r unlike TWFKAP...

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back