another DVD recorder question ... (!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish to buy a DVD recorder that can produce disks that are readable on the DVD drive in my IBM Thinkpad laptop (this is a DVD (ROM) / CD-RW drive ... i.e. it doesn't write to DVD in any format).

Does anyone know how to go about choosing a DVD recorder (no more expensive than necessary !) that will write disks that the laptop can play ? Any specific suggestions on how I can verify compatibility most welcome ...

As far as I am aware any DVD recorder should do that but you have to 'finalize' the disk which means that you can't record any more on it. At least that is the way that mine works.

Of course there may be incompatibilities between various recorders/disks/readers but I don't think they are general.

You will need to check though that both your recorder and reader can use the same disks DVD-R or DVD+R.

Andrew

:D Andrew it will depend on what you intend to use it for if you wish to record programs of the tv :roll: then jusr get a cheap DVD recorder but if you want to store data of the laptop then get a usb dvd writer I use my laptop DVD writer to store backups and recored TV programs an I a have a usb tv card as well :roll:

Martyn :D

I see now. I had assumed that the OP was asking about a standalone DVD recorder for the television. If he wants one for the PC that writes DVD+/-R that can be read on his laptop then I would have thought that just about any would do subject to the DVD+ or DVD- proviso.

Andrew

I don't think I was clear enough in stating my requirement -- just shows how complex this subject is:

I want to buy a standalone (not computer related) DVD recorder, to record television programs.

I want to be able to play the resulting disks on my existing laptop computer,
which has a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive.

How do I know which DVD recorder I should buy. I would much prefer to use 'RW' disks of some kind, as I don't intend to keep the recordings.

Provided you chose one that will write the same type of RW (+RW or -RW)disc as your drive will read then I don't think there should be any problems with any. As I explained though you will need to finalize the disc to make a proper dvd-rom (although a computer drive may read it as a data disc - I haven't tried).

So you could get the cheapest you can find or take a look at the Panasonic DMR-ES10 or DMR-ES20 which have a 1 second startup time which can be useful and they seem to be generally well recommended. I have the DMR-EH60 which has a hard drive as well and I am very pleased with it. The ES10 is analogue only whereas the ES20 has Freeveiw.

Andrew

I have a Liteon 5006 recorder and I have found that if I record a few seconds more after stopping the main recording then the disc will play on other players. That is with RW discs, the + or - R discs need finalizing.

hi, it's not the dvd recorder thats the problem but the blanks you use. A recorder will write to 95% of what you put in it but alot of player will only play dvd-r and not dvd+r so best to test this on your player before purchasing the blacks. No price different but if not sure then buy a few of each and test them. I wouldn't bother with rw's as it's alot cheaper and easier to get r's Use, abuse and throw away. 200 r's @ £5 or 10 rw @ £5

Hope this helps

Andy

Back