Another dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrujenac

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm a casual DIY-er with not much space in my shed and a budget of around £700. I have loads of free 40x90x1200 pine bits to play with, making longer/thicker material for the projects I have in mind. The size may change in the near future, as well as the type of wood I'd be using. This is where I thought of a p/t, but having zero experience with this sort of machines and not a big budget, makes it very difficult to choose a decent one. I understand that cast iron are good but I can't see any of them neither on ebay nor on marketplace and I kept an eye on them for about two weeks now. Wouldn't it be a better choice to go for a new metabo hc260c + scheppach hd12 and not waste time waiting for the eventual cast iron magic? And if I must wait, what would the best machine be (value for money)?
And if I may steal more of your precious time, can you please advice me if clarke bandsaws are any good? Aldi will have them back in stock next winter if I'm not mistaken.
Thanks in advance for your precious opinions!

If space is limited in your shed ( you didn’t state the size ) you will have to consider where you place a planer/thickneser -if you feed in a 1200mm piece of timber you will of course need 1400-1500mm either side of your machine to allow for clearance/safety. I had this issue and went for a makita nb 2012 -it’s just a thicknesser but the reviews were 90% positive and it’s portable meaning you can work outside , it’s also quiet compared to other models and available in 110 volt. Bandsaw—I looked at multiple bench top models of many makes but in the end went with a record power bs 350 as at some point you may need to cut bigger material. There is plenty of help on this site from all abilities but I’ve only recently joined . My advice is to read the reviews before you decide and don’t rush then regret your decision. Also members post items on this site for sale so worth considering as as least you will know the history and not fall victim to fake adverts etc . Good luck with your woodwork.

I don’t quite understand the Aldi comment as aren’t they a supermarket. But machinemart stock Clarke bandsaws and usually have them on display in store for you to look at.

I don’t quite understand the Aldi comment as aren’t they a supermarket.
Yes, Aldi are a supermarket ... but they have specials. Once or twice a year it will include their badged version of a small Scheppach band saw at a low to moderate price. If I remember correctly it will cut up to 8" wide & 4" deep which is just adequate for a home user.

If space is limited in your shed ( you didn’t state the size ) you will have to consider where you place a planer/thickneser -if you feed in a 1200mm piece of timber you will of course need 1400-1500mm either side of your machine to allow for clearance/safety. I had this issue and went for a makita nb 2012 -it’s just a thicknesser but the reviews were 90% positive and it’s portable meaning you can work outside , it’s also quiet compared to other models and available in 110 volt. Bandsaw—I looked at multiple bench top models of many makes but in the end went with a record power bs 350 as at some point you may need to cut bigger material. There is plenty of help on this site from all abilities but I’ve only recently joined . My advice is to read the reviews before you decide and don’t rush then regret your decision. Also members post items on this site for sale so worth considering as as least you will know the history and not fall victim to fake adverts etc . Good luck with your woodwork.
Thank you very much for the time you've spent to share your thoughts and advices, but I've already made my mind and bought most of the things I need two days after writing this thread. No one was replying to it and I only had a few days off to shop around. So I bit the bullet and scrolled down many pages on eBay and marketplace.
My current sheds are a joke. I'm planning on building a new one to replace them two rotten and crammed. I'll be 6m X 3m, which I think is enough to house my new toys. So I'll be working outside for the time being. Might be very inconvenient, but it's only temporary.
I've got myself an Electra Beckum HC 260 for £250 without the fence and the dust chute (will make them myself this weekend). As for the bandsaw, I found an Axminster awbs (315mm) for £240. I think £35 for a Lidl router is enough for my first one, as I've 0 experience with routers. Not too sure if I made the right choices with this budget but I will try to make the most of these machines while putting aside some money for better ones. I'd like to have a cast iron planer that won't require to take the beds out. Something like the Axminster AC250PT or better.

Thank you very much for the time you've spent to share your thoughts and advices, but I've already made my mind and bought most of the things I need two days after writing this thread. No one was replying to it and I only had a few days off to shop around. So I bit the bullet and scrolled down many pages on eBay and marketplace.
My current sheds are a joke. I'm planning on building a new one to replace them two rotten and crammed. I'll be 6m X 3m, which I think is enough to house my new toys. So I'll be working outside for the time being. Might be very inconvenient, but it's only temporary.
I've got myself an Electra Beckum HC 260 for £250 without the fence and the dust chute (will make them myself this weekend). As for the bandsaw, I found an Axminster awbs (315mm) for £240. I think £35 for a Lidl router is enough for my first one, as I've 0 experience with routers. Not too sure if I made the right choices with this budget but I will try to make the most of these machines while putting aside some money for better ones. I'd like to have a cast iron planer that won't require to take the beds out. Something like the Axminster AC250PT or better.
I think you got some bargains there.... 👏👏👏What the numbers for tonight's lotto!🤣🤣🤣

There’s a lot to be said for going it alone on your gut feelings and sounds like you got some good kit tbh , my workshop is 3m x 3 m and I do most if not all of my cutting etc outside. The cold I can deal with but rain is a problem ( especially if using 240 volts ) always use an additional plug in rcd and consider a cheap gazebo for extra protection. If funds allow machine mart do reasonably priced pvc garages that will make a decent temporary shelter. As for the router my first one was £30 approx and it served me well but stick to small router bits until you get accustomed it . NEVER use large cutters designed for table use in a handheld machine at any cost -it will go badly wrong 😑 90% of my woodwork skills are self taught and I of course have made mistakes but it’s all part of your learning process-good luck with yours and stay safe .

if you feed in a 1200mm piece of timber you will of course need 1400-1500mm either side of your machine
I've found the loophole to that problem.
My P/T is on wheels ;)
@TRITON Does you mean you only need 1400 - 1500mm total 'cos you feed the timber in at one end and then the machine works itself along the timber moving up the workshop on it's wheels while the timber remains stationary? 🤣🤣

Back