• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Another couple of wee bargains from my local 2nd hand store.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

TRITON

Established Member
Reaction score
A very nice little gouge last time and this trip I get an old Elwell hand axe. Military issue/1950 and an even nicer Record No077A bullnose/chisel plane.
Princely sum of £35 the pair.

The axe is a good deal as its not a bit of standard rubbish. Well made and wel shaped, and not the original handle, which you can tell as the head has been put on upside down. Which make it a nice wee project to replace the short handle with something more forest axe length, at about 22".

Funny thing was during me buying it at one point im wearing a mask and holding up an axe. Not the usual sight in a shop that instills anything other than fear for the shopkeeper :LOL:

I'll get some pics up later.

Last edited:

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Funny thing was during me buying it at only point I'm wearing a mask and holding up an axe. Not the usual sight in a shop that instills anything other than fear for the shopkeeper :LOL:

rather reminded me of my grandmother some decades ago. She was slowly going a bit loopy, and a neighbour rang to tell me he'd seen her wandering up the road with a gallon of petrol and a felling axe. It transpired that she was going to the local garage to buy a gallon of paraffin and to ask if they could grind her axe for her. :)
(She gave me her felling axe when she was eighty five as she thought she'd have no further need for it.)

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
Just think, 2 years ago, walk into the Bank wearing a face mask, what would have happened?
Now, you get thrown out for not wearing one.

Bod

Stanleymonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
I worked at a sports centre. Was dispatched to buy blanks for the starting pistol. (Pre-Dunblane and all the gun restrictions by a couple of years) Boss gave me his bank card and the starters gun to make sure I got the right stuff from a gun shop. Cycled to the bank first. Cashpoint bust so I went inside. Undid my rucksack to get the bank card and the pistol was on top of the bag. So close to a silent alarm being pushed! Eek

TRITON

Established Member
Reaction score
Imagine if it had fallen out onto the counter :LOL:

Complete transaction and exit the bank to find several armed police shouting at you.