Another Coronet Major thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavlar

Established Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, my first post!

I've just bought a Coronet Major, I think quite an early model and bought as several boxes of unassembled bits, although I did see the motor run so I know that's OK. The morticer was seized though, and very little else moved as it should.

IMG_20201205_165854655.jpg IMG_20201205_165826830.jpg IMG_20201205_165817462.jpg IMG_20201205_165811239.jpg IMG_20201205_165803759.jpg

I've spent a happy couple of weeks stripping it down, cleaning, oiling, replacing screws, repainting etc, so now it looks like this:

IMG_20201217_102605624.jpg IMG_20201217_102720893.jpg IMG_20201217_102706666.jpg IMG_20201217_102616227.jpg
What a machine, so beautifully engineered although built when H&S was an optional extra! I sometimes catch myself just working the morticer levers just to feel the action...
I had to fabricate a new tailstock release lever as the original had broken where it goes into the chrome handle. You can just see it in the photo, not the most elegant but it'll do for now.
Thought I'd better check the electrics out ... eek! no earth! now sorted, and the burned terminal replaced.
IMG_20201213_125227858.jpg
I've found and spoken with Derek Pyatt who, as has been said elsewhere, is the guru on these machines. I will be needing a few spares.

There's a useful thread elsewhere on here about the speed reduction countershaft device, and I'm pondering rigging up something similar once the basic machine is up and running.

Has anybody done a DIY job on a bowl-turning rest like Coronet used to supply, but are seemingly quite rare?

cheers
Gavin

hi everyone, my first post!

I've just bought a Coronet Major, I think quite an early model and bought as several boxes of unassembled bits, although I did see the motor run so I know that's OK. The morticer was seized though, and very little else moved as it should.

View attachment 98543 View attachment 98544 View attachment 98545 View attachment 98546 View attachment 98547

I've spent a happy couple of weeks stripping it down, cleaning, oiling, replacing screws, repainting etc, so now it looks like this:

View attachment 98551 View attachment 98548 View attachment 98549 View attachment 98550
What a machine, so beautifully engineered although built when H&S was an optional extra! I sometimes catch myself just working the morticer levers just to feel the action...
I had to fabricate a new tailstock release lever as the original had broken where it goes into the chrome handle. You can just see it in the photo, not the most elegant but it'll do for now.
Thought I'd better check the electrics out ... eek! no earth! now sorted, and the burned terminal replaced.
View attachment 98552
I've found and spoken with Derek Pyatt who, as has been said elsewhere, is the guru on these machines. I will be needing a few spares.

There's a useful thread elsewhere on here about the speed reduction countershaft device, and I'm pondering rigging up something similar once the basic machine is up and running.

Has anybody done a DIY job on a bowl-turning rest like Coronet used to supply, but are seemingly quite rare?

cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin,, I just dropped in after a while away and spotted "coronet major" and thought Robbo,, he is the major man,, so I built a speed reduction layshaft long ago and I"m sure I posted up some details but can"t remember,, I did get hold of an original on the web from a bloke who sells a lot of coronet stuff and will send his details sometime,,

Hi Joe, yes I think I found your thread. If it's Derek you mean, we're in touch already. I was thinking of making a layshaft, but have since had made a 5-speed pulley set so the layshaft is not needed as I now have a speed range of about 700 to 4000. The restoration is coming along well and I'll put some pics up soon.

Hello again Gavin,, looking forward to seeing your pictures,,must visit more often,, I saw a nice 5 pulley set on a coronet with multi vee belt,, way back and thought that was a real good setup,, well done,,

OK then, here goes with some update pictures!
Overall image, taken before I fitted the saw table back:
IMG_20210101_123530217.jpg

The 5-speed pulleys are 3D printed in PETG plastic, as a trial to see how they wear.

IMG_20201227_101241413.jpg IMG_20201227_104702374.jpg

Tailstock chrome plating came up well with a brass wire wheel, and runs in and out very nicely.
IMG_20201217_102720893.jpg

Saw table, showing evil new blade and my added guarding. It won't be as effective if the table is raised up, but most of the time it won't be as the max cutting depth is only a shade over 2" anyway. Mitre fence is another 3D print.

IMG_20210113_104340818.jpg IMG_20210113_104332135.jpg IMG_20210113_104357045.jpg

Combination table
IMG_20210113_104252671.jpg

Planer, so far minus blades and with added shavings collection bag. OK, it's a pillowcase.
IMG_20210113_104437970.jpg

Two pairs of new planer blades made up and now en route to a heat treatment place:
IMG_20210111_130608765.jpg

cheers
Gavin

Just seen these posts. Very nice work Gavin. I've recently joined this site having read interesting posts over the past few years. I've reached the age where the kids are a bit older and I've enough time to properly revive this hobby. I've installed a very solid and oversized Columbian pine bench I made at School in the 1970s, (70s houses had space) revamped the old Parkinson vice and derusted and sharpened my old tools.
Now for the Major.
Having not turned anything since leaving school 40 years ago and after reading so many positive posts I've bought a Major just before lockdown. However I don't have a proper manual just the basic booklet from Mr Pyat, its more of an introduction than an operating manual. It runs with, plane, saw, sanding discs, and lathe. Not nearly as well presented as Gavin's above.
A few observations.
The lathe bearing is very noisy, I take the belt off when using the plane and despite oiling not got to the source of the noise yet.
The thicknesser attachment does not fit, the plane bed seems to be missing the right screw thread to match up to the attachment. Also the thicknesser feels a bit dangerous, I feel its would throw wood out as it only has springs and not rollers.
The saw is 7" so its either an early model at 7" or its from a Minor? But the size of the head and tail (4.5 inch) seem to be of the Major, so a bit flummoxed. The parts seems to be a bit mix and match.
The lathe has two sliding attachments on the main bar, but only one has a tool rest attachment and an odly shaped lever that is turned up into the path of the rest. The rests (one with twin sockets and a very small rest) seem a bit agricultural with a flat horizonal face about 1/4 inch thick.
Only the main pully has a cover the plane pulley is exposed, not sure how to fit a makeshift guard as few bolt holes, so still a work in progress. It comes with two
I'd apricate advice on where to source a decent manual as I feel I need to read more.

Hello again,, Excellent job done there Gavin,, the 5 step pulleys are really tasty,, did you have them turned after printing or is that straight from the printer ?,, pity you are not closer, would like to see it all in real life,, tho" real life would be good right now,, everything else looks good,, Tom, try Robbo for help with a manual,, cheers,, joe

Hello again, Just to say thank you for the really prompt advice, and Robbo for sending the PDF. I've been in contact with Derek Mr Coronet, have bought a set up guide, and he is giving me advice. Looks like the first thing I'm going to need is speed reduction, although I plan on only turning small spindles to start.
Thanks again. I'll be in touch once I get is all properly assembled. From what I've heard so far the model is a pre 63 with an 8" saw table. I may well have a pre 63 , plane that is 4 inch and a thicknesser attachment that is 41/2 inch post 63. Its still early days so just figuring out what is what. Tom

Hi everyone
Sorry to intrude on your thread.
This is my first post and I’m a newbie to turning. There is currently a major on eBay “With planer thicknesses and saw attachments.A set of wood turning chisels.” For £250
in good working order , not far away. I am tempted but would like your advice opinion.
if I go for something new it would only be a very basic model as I do not have a lot to throw around. As this has attachments and I see so much enthusiasm for the major I feel inclined to go for it and hope there would be plenty of help available.

any thoughts this morning please.
It does excite me
thank you

Hi everyone
Sorry to intrude on your thread.
This is my first post and I’m a newbie to turning. There is currently a major on eBay “With planer thicknesses and saw attachments.A set of wood turning chisels.” For £250
in good working order , not far away. I am tempted but would like your advice opinion.
if I go for something new it would only be a very basic model as I do not have a lot to throw around. As this has attachments and I see so much enthusiasm for the major I feel inclined to go for it and hope there would be plenty of help available.

any thoughts this morning please.
It does excite me
thank you
Fleur,, not quite "this morning" I am a bit biased (major fan) but I would go ahead, you won,t get much new for £250, and you might get some help thrown in by the seller,, keep in touch, let us know what transpires,,,

Back