Another Chessboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello LN, I am at a loss, is there an optical illusion going on?

Some pictures give the impression of raised bevel edges and looking again when you fold the table the board face is level with edges.

Anyway looks super and your workmanship is top rate as ever.

devonwoody":10m472bv said:

Some pictures give the impression of raised bevel edges and looking again when you fold the table the board face is level with edges.

No illusion devon, there is a 2mm lip all around the beech area, it's going to be covered in leather just like a desktop.

Lord Nibbo":2oz3lcm6 said:
devonwoody":2oz3lcm6 said:

No illusion devon, there is a 2mm lip all around the beech area, it's going to be covered in leather just like a desktop.

Sorry LN, I am still in trouble.

This is the chess table and folded and appears flat.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/6792 ... 889d_z.jpg

The following picture shows table face and the border seems to raise up to board playing area (by more than the 2mm you mentioned)

Nice WIP Nibbo.

I'm intrigued by this 'regulation' size for squares. I never would have imagined there were 'rules'. I have seen some huge chess pieces, (Excluding outdoor chess) often in some kind of stone. They would need some pretty large boards of course.

Clearly you aren't including borders around your squares, but would the 'regulation' size include the dimensions of any stringing you might include, as borders? Or maybe competition boards can't have any ornamentation.

:)

the size must be as much a visual thing as a "rule" isnt it? each square being 120-130% as long as the kings diameter just allows the largest piece to look balanced. If it was 150%, it would look a bit lost, 100% it wouldnt fit properly

Lord Nibbo":yyy1fc1t said:
First coat of Danish oil goes on another three or four coats to go each coat will be cut back with 0000 wire wool, finally it will get a coat of Black Bison paste wax.
6794674240_abfbbb5e26_z.jpg

I think Devonwoody took the frame as being bevelled downwards from the board.

It does look that way at a glance, but it is an illusion, probably because of the grain pattern, and the mitre joints seeming to be in a different plane. I can 'switch it on and off', as I look at it. First it looks flat, then it looks like the frame is bevelled downwards; which of course it isn't. :)

Thanks for the links Nibbo. :)

devonwoody":7fl50vi6 said:
Really nice looking chess board, going to make your own pieces when board completed?

No, I've got a set of pieces I bought when I made the chess table for the competition a year or two ago. :)

Like it a lot, been thinking about making one for a while, not sure if I want to try solid squares or veneered onto a thick ply yet. If it turns out half as nice as this I'll be well chuffed.

:)

Congratulations on a superb finished piece of work and craftsmanship.

Tempted to challenge you to a game, but I feel I could be against some opposition with setup like that.

Back