Another Chessboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doctor Bob":2v2fxvtm said:
Lord Nibbo":2v2fxvtm said:
A championship size chessboard

Is there really a regulation size?

Yes...... Well it depends on the size of the pieces, For chess championships Staunton is a must and dependant on the Kings base size. The squares have to be 120%- 130% measured diagonally bigger than the Kings diameter measurement .

Would it be considered an illegal match if they were found to be 119% :lol:

So day two comes and goes :)

The four pieces on the left are for the frame. The four shorter pieces on the right are for the squares they were all put through the sander to size them and to remove any traces of snipe. The four shorter pieces have yet to be cut again to make eight thin boards.
6774562646_1935f098a5.jpg

Beech Backing Boards.
Two pieces started off as four and glued together, they have been sanded to thickness then cut here to the finished size.
6774563150_d39ae0e756.jpg

Every thing thicknessed sized and ready for a little glue up.
6774563824_2827e92453.jpg

First glue up of what will become the squares.
6920680935_6870b22b08.jpg

No work tomorrow my old vans got to have an MOT :)

spotted this as I have a chess table planned, but never realised there was an official table size, relative to the king.
I was just going to make mine so it looked sort of right, but I question the 120 - 130% diagonal? The ratio of the diagonal to the side of any square is 1.41 (to 2 dp!), i.e. the diagonal is 141% of the side. Is this rule for the side dimension, as if you use it on the diagonal the base of the king will exceed the square's width I think?? I don't mean this matters much, but just wondering.

condeesteso":21ui3y9e said:
spotted this as I have a chess table planned, but never realised there was an official table size, relative to the king.
I was just going to make mine so it looked sort of right, but I question the 120 - 130% diagonal? The ratio of the diagonal to the side of any square is 1.41 (to 2 dp!), i.e. the diagonal is 141% of the side. Is this rule for the side dimension, as if you use it on the diagonal the base of the king will exceed the square's width I think?? I don't mean this matters much, but just wondering.

Sorry I must have had diagonal on the brain :oops: Just to make it clear any championship board must have squares 2" - 2 1/2" square, dependent on the size of the kings . As I said above the squares must be 120% - 130% bigger than the kings. i.e. a king with a base 50mm (2") the squares must be 20% - 30% bigger making the squares 60mm - 65mm.

devonwoody":3cxzxmzk said:
I am interested in this project as well. Do you play chess on the net?

I used to, but got fed up with people not finishing games especially if they were losing. :(

I play just friends and family now.

All four pieces of rail routed out to take the inlay strips or banding of Ebony and Boxwood. You can see the rough markings of where the rail will be mitred, I only added that to make sure I was adding the banding on the correct edge.
6776948888_cb334bed86.jpg

Here the last lot of banding of Ebony and Boxwood gets glued into the rebate. I was running out of small clamps for this last piece. :)
6923064065_6f13f30aff.jpg

Another of the rails and gluing the two halves of what will become the Squares.
6923063581_64eb0e9066.jpg

:)

Using my homemade board cutter or sliding square as I like to call it, I cut off a thin slice just to get the edge true.
6928267669_840f795fbf_z.jpg

using the fence this time I cut the strips <strong>exactly</strong> the same width as when I first cut them into strips.
6782148148_94e58c00de_z.jpg

The glue up of the chequered boards, making sure black square to the left white square to the right. :) these will be left as two boards.
6782149082_4fc75b6c0e_z.jpg

Gluing the face piece in the centre of the board half on the edge where it will be hinged. It won't be seen on the chequered side, although not clearly seen in this pic the edging piece is two millimeters wider than the board, as is the edge frame. This is being done so I can lay lamb skin over the beech much the same as a leathered desk top.
6782149612_177962ce8e_z.jpg

Cutting biscuit slots to one of the edge frame pieces. Next will be mitering the one end then I can glue this piece on to the boards.
6782150232_e23e5b7525_z.jpg

The squares have been glued to the base pieces, and here the first parts of the frame have been glued in to place using several biscuits in each piece. Care was taken to match the correct pair of sides so the grain matches.
6785012564_fc590c3e9d_z.jpg

excellent indeed, interesting processes, particularly like the use of solid material rather than veneers. I might breach your copyright on that one!

Paul Chapman":1ay3ad4t said:
That's looking very nice, Your Lordship.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thank you Paul, we aim to please :) OK what no one saw or knew, in other words the unseen self generated mistakes :) those hinges were 2mm too tall, that meant I had to file 2mm off the bottom edge of both hinges, it had me sweating about wasting £17 they cost me :( if I buggered the remodeling of them. Anyway even though I say it myself "I think they look the bees Knees" :)

Back